Broken Images

Whenever i upload images they come up all broken, or some of them do. Anyone know why this might be

The exact same thing happens to me. I do not understand why, everything was fine before. Now this happens to some images, and not to others.

My hostess suggests that it's file corruption--the file got corrupted on uploading. So I checked the other thread that deals with a similar problem. But that wasn't able to help me, as I don't use a router.

Please be more specific: Which SmartFTP version are you using (copy the information from the about dialog)? Which image file formats are affected? How do you upload images (direct upload, global queue etc.)? How do you know images are corrupted (they don't appear n the website, they're smaller in size in the FTP view)? Etc.

I'm using SmartFTP v1.0.982. GIF and JPG files are affected--GIFs show up looking garbled and weird, and JPGs show up broken. I upload using direct upload.

Hi, do you have any software firewall instaled? what exact build of 982 are you ussing? can you post a log of your upload? can you try downloading a image from another ftp site and check if it's broken too?

:?: I'm not sure what you mean by "which build of 982"...I didn't know there was more than one. Sorry, I'm not that experienced with FTP programs. :?

The following is a log of an image upload that I've tried many times before and never worked:

Estimated Compression Ratio of 'C:Princess CindyWeb StuffWebEternelalayoutcindy2.jpg': 58.49% (13.1 KB/22.4 KB)
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (67,18,212,4,122,113).
Opening data connection IP: 67,18,212,4,122,113 PORT: 31345.
STOR cindy2.jpg
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for cindy2.jpg
22987 bytes sent successfully. (22.45 KB/s) (00:00:01).
226 Transfer complete.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (67,18,212,4,122,114).
Opening data connection IP: 67,18,212,4,122,114 PORT: 31346.
LIST -aL
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
381 bytes received successfully. (381 B/s) (00:00:01).
226 Transfer complete.

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for cindy2.jpg
That's the problem, transfer mode should be BINARY (which is the default for images) instead of ASCII. Go to Tools -> Settings -> Transfer -> ASCII / Binary and verify "Auto Tranfer Type" is selected as "Default Transfer Type" and *.jpg, *.gif is *not* listed in thge "ASCII Files" list below.

I'll try that, thanks a lot. My hostess did suggest that I changed my file transfer type from ASCII to Auto, and that's what I did, but it didn't work. I'll try what you said.

Er...I checked, and everything was already as you said. As I mentioned previously, the default transfer type is already set to auto, and .GIF and .JPG files are not in the ASCII list.

Very odd, "auto" should definitely upload images as BINARY. Anyways, just set the "Default Transfer Type" explicitly to "Binary Transfer Type". This should work in every case.

I will try that, thank you.

Hey, I tried what you suggested (sorry it took so long XD) but it still didn't work...*sniff* :cry:

I am having the same problem: files (especially images) are corrupted when uploaded. I downloaded the latest version available and installed it; but, and had no change. I set "force binary" transfers with no improvement.

Both Microsoft's command line FTP and "FTP Commander" work correctly, so the problem appears to be in SmartFTP or the way I am using it.

Any suggestions?

The problem is with your transfer mode setting. Set it to binary in both the favorite item settings and the global settings. If you do so, it will fix the problem.

By default SmartFTP chooses the right transfer mode. But if you play around with the settings you can break the configuration.

Regards,