SOLUTION: HOW TO CONFIGURE NIS 2005 FIREWALL

Many FTP programs have problems with NIS 2005 FIREWALL. I found the workaround !!!.
NIS 2005 creates a firewall rule for TROJAN horses to block "UNUSED WINDOWS SERVICES"

This is how i did it:

1. Open NIS and click on "personal firewall"and choose the button "configure"
2. Go to the tab "ADVANCED" and click on the button "TROJAN HORSES"
3. In the list of firewall rules go to the last one which is named "Blocking Unused Windows Services".
4. Dubbel click on this rule and change the setting from "blocking" (in red) to "guarding" (in black)
5. Choose the tab "TRACE" and tick the box "MAKE A WARNING"
6. click OK to close all screens.

Now start up your ftp program and there will come a warning (ask for details) and you will see that "ALG.EXE" tries to connect. Choose " Allow Once."

Now you must be able to connect with your FTP program.

Run your FTP program a couple of times to see if everything is running OK.
When it does change settings back for the firewall rule just decribed above to "blocking" and untick the warning box.

Everything should run smooth now !!

Hello ...

Why do you select the "Allow once" and not the "Allow always" option?

-Mat

Of course it has to be "ALLOW ALLWAYS" .
The first time I configured the firewall i choose "ALLOW ONCE" and all FTP programs worked. On the next restart the firewall prompted me for settings of "ALG.EXE" and I choose "ALLOW ALLWAYS".

Everything runs fine now!!

Of course it has to be "ALLOW ALLWAYS" .
The first time I configured the firewall i choose "ALLOW ONCE" and all FTP programs worked. On the next restart the firewall prompted me for settings of "ALG.EXE" and I choose "ALLOW ALLWAYS".
Everything runs fine now!!

Thank you very much Noutje. It indeed works. Seems like the last updates for the NIS package have garbled the normal behaviour of this rule.