Settings not being saved.

This is very frustrating!

I cannot save certain settings and my window layout is RESET every time I start the program!

For example - I have it set so that I do not get an overwrite confirmation. But I STILL get one!

The window layout is a killer for me. I'm not using SmartFTP anymore because of this. Every time I start the program, I have to rearrange the windows, which is a HUGE pain.

I'm running XP with SP2 btw.

Yes, I am having the same problem! I have been using SmartFTP for quite a while now, and have gone through several updates... but it *never* remembers any of my settings!

For example... Tools > Settings > Interface > Prompts
If I uncheck "Close Application" or "Close Local Browser" etc. it will remain as I have set it until I close and restart SmartFTP and it is back to its orginal setting!!

The same goes for Settings > General
"File Viewer/Editor" - if I set it to something different, it will default back to notepad.exe when I next start SmartFTP

Basically, all the settings go back to their defaults when I next start SmartFTP!!

I have also set up a rule to always overwrite files when I upload (Direct), but this is ignored also. And is also cleared when I next start SmartFTP.

I don't have an unusual installation...

Windows XP SP2
P4 3.4GHz
1GB RAM, Loads HDD Space

You're probably running users that don't have write access to the required registry keys ...

You're probably running users that don't have write access to the required registry keys ...

But I'm an 'administrator' supposedly with access writes to everything!? (I have two users on this machine, both are Administrators).

Having said that, however, it does look as if it's a registry issue... I have run regedit and found the key:
HKCU\Software\SmartFTP\Client 2.0
Where I assume the settings should be stored. But, there are NO entries beyond this and if I try and create an entry (eg. a string value) within this branch, I get the error:
"Cannot create value: Error writing to the registry"

Dang! Doesn't sound good!

But... I can create entries in other parts of the registry without a problem. The problem with SmartFTP not remembering its settings occurred when I first installed SmartFTP (then version 1) almost a year ago! There are no other known problems on the machine, all applications appear to work ok (in which settings are saved ok to the registry). I also don't seem to be the only one who has had the same problem (as the original post suggests, although that was 18 months ago!). There's no significant errors in my system event log (I've had IE6 crash a few more times recently, but I use Firefox 90% of the time.)

Is my registry corrupt?!!! Is just that key in the registry corrupt?! Can windows lock certain keys in the registry (perhaps to save the rest of the registry)? Can that registry key be locked for any other reason?

Do I need to panic?!

I would be very grateful to any words of advice on this one, thanks!

No need to panic, this certainly can be fixed. From the "Run" prompt, start "regedt32" (instead of "regedit"), navigate to the SmartFTP registry key, right-click on it, choose "Permissions..." from the context menu, and allow "Full Control" to "Administrators".

No need to panic, this certainly can be fixed. From the "Run" prompt, start "regedt32" (instead of "regedit"), navigate to the SmartFTP registry key, right-click on it, choose "Permissions..." from the context menu, and allow "Full Control" to "Administrators".

Fantastic! Thank you very much - that has sorted the problem! All the settings are now saved ok!

(Under Windows XP, I think "regedt32" and "regedit" are actually one and the same - regedt32 simply runs regedit. Other versions of Windows are different though.)