Problem uploading

Hi all,

I am also having a major problem uploading my website. I use Windows 98, Web Studio, Smart FTP & load to Your-site. We have Zone Alarm (which I have configured to allow each program) & PCcillan (old version) as well as spyware.

I never had a problem until we changed modems from dial up to broadband. However, all configurations seem to be okay and connections seem to be going through to FTP but never get further than that.

I've looked at all the tutorials and unless I'm missing something, I still don't know what's wrong!?

This is what happens:

SmartFTP v1.0.982.36
Resolving host name ftp.boingonline.com...
Connecting to (ftp.boingonline.com) -> IP: 140.186.45.100 PORT: 21
Connected to (ftp.boingonline.com) -> Time = 293ms
Socket connected waiting for login sequence.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd ----------
220-You are user number 18 of 150 allowed.
220-Local time is now 18:51. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
USER boing
331 User boing OK. Password required
PASS (hidden)
230-User boing has group access to: users
230-This server supports FXP transfers
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Extensions supported:
EPRT
IDLE
MDTM
SIZE
REST STREAM
MLST type*;size*;sizd*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.uid*;UNIX.gid*;unique*;
MLSD
ESTP
PASV
EPSV
SPSV
ESTA
211 End.
Detected Server Software: PureFTPd
PWD
257 "/" is your current location
TYPE A
200 TYPE is now ASCII
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (140,186,45,100,105,97)
Opening data connection IP: 140,186,45,100,105,97 PORT: 26977.
LIST -aL
150 Accepted data connection
605 bytes received successfully. (605 B/s) (00:00:01).
226-Options: -a -l
226 9 matches total
NOOP
200 Zzz...
CWD /www/
250 OK. Current directory is /www
PWD
257 "/www" is your current location
PORT 10,0,0,1,4,51
200 PORT command successful
Opening data connection IP: 10.0.0.1 PORT: 1075.
LIST -aL
150 Connecting to port 15057
419 bytes received successfully. (419 B/s) (00:00:01).
226 6 matches total
CWD /www/boing/
250 OK. Current directory is /www/boing
PWD
257 "/www/boing" is your current location
PORT 10,0,0,1,4,52
200 PORT command successful
Opening data connection IP: 10.0.0.1 PORT: 1076.
LIST -aL
150 Connecting to port 15058
2058 bytes received successfully. (2.01 KB/s) (00:00:01).
226 30 matches total
NOOP
200 Zzz...
NOOP
SmartFTP v1.0.982.36
421 Timeout (no operation for 1800 seconds)
Connection closed.

What am I doing wrong??? Please help!
Karen

What exactly is your problem with SmartFTP? From the logs, all seems to be okay (I see no attempt to upload anything, though). Are you confused that SmartFTP is automatically disconnected after 1800 s? That's a server-side setting to kick you out if you're idle for too long to give your connection to other clients who might be waiting.

The query is why is SmartFTP saying I'm idle? As far as I can see, the files are uploading so why am I running out of time? Why are the files not connecting? Is there something I'm not doing correctly?

I'm getting more and more frustrated as I've been trying for over a week now to get my website back on line.

Any ideas would be great!

Karen

Please be a little bit more specific: What kind of upload-method do you use? Direct? Session queue? Global queue? In case of the latter two, a second connection to the server is established and the upload is performed in the "background" (that's why we see no upload attempt in the log for the first connection). This way, you can go on browsing the server through your first connection (which is not possible when doing a direct upload). When you're not browsing, your first connection may go idle and you're disconnected, but this leaves the second connection untouched, the files are still being uploaded. Are you really the upload failed and the files are not already on the server? If you're still experiencing problems, please post detailed step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the issue.

Thanks for your help. I'm so sorry if I sound like such a dill!!

I have now managed to get the text uploaded which makes me feel a little better using "direct". My images are still not loaded though and I've tried to drag & drop through the local browser and it seems as though they are loading, but they don't appear on the site. I'll go and find out through the tutorials what I might be doing wrong, but any advice on here would be great!

Just out of interest, I used to upload my files with no problem through Web Studio publisher but now I just get an error message. It was so much simpler than uploading manually through SmartFTP (in fact, I never knew any of this existed until now). How do I get my publisher to work again??

Karen