Please help if someone can....

I have TONS of trouble with SmartFTP but I do love the program. Here is the issue.

Everytime I attempt to connect to my website, I get the same message:
"No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

Then I reboot and it's fine and goes through. Then after a few minutes, the connection closes without my prompting. And then when I try to reconnect, I get "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

Help. It makes working on my website very tedious and frustrating and has been happening for about 5 months, BOTH prior to and after I got my firewall. I just want the connection to stay open longer. I've written to my website host and they say it's not anything on their end.

Yes I also get the "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." I didn't use FTP for like a week, came back got the update and now I get that error and cannot login. Please Help!! :cry:

Ok, mine DOES connect. After the connection closes within about 2 minutes of being unused, it brings that message. In other words, when it's idle because I am working on something to upload, it closes the connection without me saying and then won't reconnect. Is there a way to LENGTHEN the connection so it won't close when idle?

1. When you're uploading something to that server, it should go idle.
2. Only the FTP server admin can change the idle time.

1. When you're uploading something to that server, it should go idle.
2. Only the FTP server admin can change the idle time.

That's not the issue at all. It's when I am NOT uploading. When the server is resting and waiting for an upload.

Second, who is the FTP server administrator?

I'm sorry, stupid typo on my side, of course I wanted to say "When you're uploading something to that server, it should NOT go idle". I simply misunderstood your sentence "when it's idle because I am working on something to upload", it sounded to me as if the server goes idle WHILE you're uploading.

The FTP sever administrator is the one how is responsible for the server, the one who installed it and looks after it. Maybe there is a contact address listed in the server's welcome message when you log in.

There is another way to prevent the server from disconnecting you: Go to Settings -> Connection -> Keep alive, remove NOOP from the list and add some of the suggested commands. Most servers simply ignore the NOOP command and go idle anyway, so you have to use some other "dummy commands".

What would you suggest I add? I don't know the commands.

Try the suggested "LIST foo" or "TYPE I", "PWD", "FEAT" etc. You should also take a look on how long the server exactly takes to recognize you as idle and decrease the "Keep alive interval" accordingly. If if really is about 2 minutes as you said above, there's no need to adjust the default 50 seconds entered in SmartFTP.