Newie question http:///

Hi,
When typing in my address, the webpage that comes up is blank.
It appears as http:/// ie three slashes.

I have struggled so far in everything I have done, but am happy to go trough that pain barrier, like learning to drive etc.
So please bear with my in replying.

I guess I am asking how do I direct the webpage to the corect file.

This will help in the later stage of links though to othe pages, but one step at a time!

Thanks

where do you type in your address? in the smartftp address bar? what kind of address / url are you using? please be aware that smartftp is an ftp client, and as such it only supports ftp://... urls, not http://... urls.
but of course you can use smartftp to upload files to your webspace account, but therefore you need an ftp server to access which is given to you by your webspace provider. the file that is searched for by the webserver when no other file is specified in the url is usually called "index.html".

My apologies. Thanks for the help.
It is when trying to find the wbsite.
Typing the website address in the browser. Having (I think ) upoloaded the file to my webspace account.

The second part of the question may answer mine.
I have renamed the file I want to use as index.html.
However,t here are now a number of other folders, including ones that were automatically downloaded, they seem to be for stats and email.
Would I be better deleting everything but the index.html? and starting again?
Or how do I get it to direct to that 9or any other) html file?

Sorry about not making that clearer.

what are the other (automatically generated) folders called? if there is e.g. a "public_html" folder, your "index.html" file must go there instead of the directory you see when you log into your account with smartftp.

Hi
under the website adress is:

.neomail
.spam assasin
.sqmaildata
etc
index_files
mail
public_ftp
public_html with index.htm and also .htaccess
sub directories of cgi_bin and also Index_files

tmp

tHanks

your configuration seems correct (be sure to try both "htm" and "html" extensions for your file). one last thing to try is to verify your "public_html" folder and "index.html" have proper access rights. just chmod (select the folder / file, press F7 in smartftp) them to be readable for anyone.

Hi
Thanks for this help.
I have renamed the file in public folders as html, as it was htm
I have CHMOD 'ed the Index file and it was Public readabel
However, right clicking on the public html the CHMOD is greyed out, and not editable

Thanks

When CHMODing a folder, be sure to go to its parent folder in the tree view on the left, and select the "public_html" folder in the right view, where the files are listed. Now F7 should be available from the context menu.

hi,
I got that a bit wrong at first.
I went into the left tree view, and clicked then rright rather than the www.webite then right view.

A new error has come up.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.gravellead.com Port 80

A problem

However, a very quick check of 403 on Google could be some of the problem.
when putting www.gravelead.com int he browser, it has a / on the end.
One other problem is originally I requested www.gravelead.com 7. co.uk, and also www.gravellead.com &.co.uk buth the 2nd one was in case anyoen misspelt it.
Ideally I would like all to direct to www.gravelead.com

Thanks

I'm sorry, but this is going beyond the scope of supporting SmartFTP, as the problem you're facing is in no way related to using SmartFTP. Maybe your webspace provider could offer you some help or FAQs to read?

Ok
Many thanks for your help