Windows XP SP2 Firewall

Having upgraded to SP2 and installed the new Windows Firewall I now have problems connecting to FTP sites.

It finds the site and connects straight away but then it times out waiting for the loging sequence. This behaviour is exhibited by all FTP sites, whether Passive mode is used or not. Normal service is resumed if the firewall is turned off.

I've tried adding SmartFTP to the Exceptions list and I've tried adding port 21 to the exceptions list, but neither of these had any effect :cry:

Try downloading the last development build to check if it fixes your trouble.

I've followed the links for the dev build and ended up with version 1.0.982.15, but this version still has the same problem.

The problem is with your firewall configuration.

Regards,
SmartFTP.com

The problem is with your firewall configuration.

Regards,
SmartFTP.com

I realise that, but having already tried adding SmartFTP and port 21 to the exception list I don't knoww what else to try?

ftp also needs port 20 (data channel, port 21 ist the control channel), at least in active mode. try adding port 20, too, to the exceptions list.

You dont have to add anything to the XP SP2 firewall to connect to an FTP server. It only blocks incoming connections by default (e.g. if you are running a FTP server or using the PORT mode for FTP transfers in SmartFTP).
To make sure the problem is not with the XP SP2 firewall you can stop the "Application Level Gateway" service in XP.
If you are still having problem with the service stopped, the problem is NOT with the XP SP2 firewall.

-Mat

The only thing (that I know of) that I've done since it last didn't work was to stop and restart the Application Gateway Service and now it seems to be working fine :?

I guess it's possible that I've done a reboot, but I don't think so.

Thanks for the help anyway.