Using SmartFTP with NAT & firewall

My Web hosting company uses NAT for security. As I understand it this means that you must identify yourself with a valid IP address in order to connect. I recently installed a router that hides my IP address, using its own NAT I think. A NAT can't talk to a NAT, so I am told.

The tech support at the router maker (US Robotics) told me I need to identify myself to the host by forcing the FTP client to use my router IP address. Is there a way to do this with SmartFTP? Is it necessary? I have set a Port trigger to allow me to use Port 21 outgoing and a group of ports incoming.

Normally I connect using Active (Port) mode, and switching to PASV has not helped. If the NAT support is good, can anyone point to a document in the Knowledge Base that can clear things up for me?

Thanks,

K

(I looked at some other FTP clients today, all were pretty poor by comparison to SmartFTP)

SmartFTP has one of the best NAT/UPnP support. It's all about the configuration.

Regards,
-Mat

mb wrote:SmartFTP has one of the best NAT/UPnP support. It's all about the configuration.

Perhaps someone could elaborate on that? As in, how do you actually configure it to work right?

ok, this is my connection log to the site
[11:32:04]     CLNT SmartFTP 1.0.982

[11:32:04] 200 Command okay

[11:32:04]     REST 100

[11:32:04] 350 Requested file action pending further information.

[11:32:04]     REST 0

[11:32:05] 350 Requested file action pending further information.

[11:32:05]     PWD

[11:32:05] 257 "/" is current directory

[11:32:05]     TYPE A

[11:32:06] 200 Command okay

[11:32:08]     UPNP: Added Port Mapping: Router:1098 -> 192.168.1.6:1098

[11:32:11]     UPNP: GetExternalIPAddress returned: "my.external.firewall.ip"

[11:32:11]     PORT my,external,firewall,ip,4,74

[11:32:11] 200 Command okay

[11:32:11]     Opening data connection IP: my.external.firewall.ip PORT: 1098.

[11:32:11]     MLSD

[11:32:12] 150 File status okay; about to open data connection.

[11:32:42]     Connection closed. Server timeout.

[11:32:43]     UPNP: Removed Port Mapping: Router:1098

[11:32:43] 425 Connection timed out: connect

i guess this means that upnp natted correctly the port, but for some strange reason the connection doesn't come back to my client pc
i have dmz enabled on the firewall, directing ALL traffic to another machine, but the same happens if i disable dmz
the router is an USR9106
thanks for the help, bye

what's up?
now with build 982.36 the UPnP commands don't show up anymore, just tries to connect to repeater.smartftp.com
did anything change in this build?
thanks

I can't connect to any ftp site with this software. I used to be able to, but for some reason it doesn't work at all anymore. Uninstalling it completely seems to be impossible, because everytime I reinstall (the latest developer edition even) it remembers my bookmarked ftp sites and that it's been unregistered for more than 60 days or whatever. Flashfxp works fine for me, although I liked some stuff about this interface better.

With all the support that I see given on this board about how to actually configure the thing to work with a nat router, it sure is a wonder why more people don't click on that Buy a license link in your sig, mb. I give up on smartftp.

btw, this is what I get when trying to connect to a site, it keeps repeating itself. works fine in previously mentioned app.

Resolving host name sxxxxxxxx.onlinehome.us...

Connecting to (sxxxxxxxx.onlinehome.us) ->  IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx PORT: 21

Connected to (sxxxxxxxx.onlinehome.us) -> Time = 3906ms

Socket connected waiting for login sequence.

Connection timeout. No response from server.

Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

I am having the same problem. My log looks just like yours. Bug in new build?

Hello ...

SmartFTP works flawless. The problem is with your configuration, firewall software, AV software, router firmware etc.

Blaming SmartFTP everytime you have a problem is totally inappropriate.

Check the following articles:
https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/58

Then search the forum for more solutions, if you still have a problem, read how to make a bugreport etc.

i am a programmer myself nothing is 'flawless'. how do u explasin only smartftp dont work, and everything else does?