To the developers. URGENT!!

The 92 day update post is the most posted to topic and the most read. :idea: Why don't you do something about it or at least reply with an answer that solves the problem instead of ignoring it. :x

This will probably get deleted as it is duplicating a post but way hey it's worth the risk. 8)

This is the same answer you give each time, and I suppose everybody has read it and followed it but it does not work.

What is the big deal about the software not being updated for 92 days, many people own software that is years old, as long as it does the job it is intended for does it really matter.

I have to admit, regardless of my comments, that it is the best and easiest to use FTP software that I have used and I do accept that it is free and I probably don't have the right to complain, however I do feel that you have a moral responsibility to provide software that does the job and address the short comings (bugs) that uses advise you of. After all, with out the support of the, probably millions, of users you would not be able to generate income from the software in which ever way you do.

McAffee had a problem with their yearly virus definition update notice, it displayed a popup screen every five minuets regardless of the fact that the licence had been updated. I know for a fact that this problem alone lost them a huge amount of business.

Would it not be an idea to issue a version that does not have the update notice included (yes I know, the development version [it makes no difference though]) or a patch to fix it. Just to make sure I have downloaded the development version again. After installing the very first thing it did was the 92 day warning.

These are the SmartFTP details as displayed by the software

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------

Version           : 1.0.982.3

Time Stamp        : 2004-05-02 16:30:08

Do I have the correct version or is there another, if there is another where can I get it, I got this one from the link on your download page.

I thank you for any help you can give me (and probably many many others) in this.

I have instaled that build 981.37 on my p3 without license and it don't gives troubles for me, maybe you have a proxy and because that you get an outdated build? Try downloading from the ftp site instead webpage.

The 92 days without update webpage is to inform to the pp that there is a new build, that was true most of times, this no because MB and MW are working on the new SmartFTP 2.0 and you must wait a bit more to see that.

P.S. A license disables the 92 days message.

ok - so then your rationale is that:
. it's worked fine for you, and so therefore every one else complaining that it's not working for them must be either high on crack, or inexperienced computer users who can't follow your instructions.
?

as i fall in neither category, and still experiencing this behaviour -- even after following the various hoodoo advice proposed over the past couple months -- i hope that is not your rationale.

i understand it may be frustrating that people are complaining about what is free software for them; which leaves you with two choices: don't make it free, or fix it so people stop complaining about it.

thanks otherwise for good software.

I have a P3 also so on that theory it should work?, I list your system info screen (the last thing it did before listing this screen was the 92 day warning just in case you were interested).

Please belive I am not making this up and regardless of what you state, it does happen and happens everytime. Maybe there is a registry entry that has not been reset when the update overwrites the previous build??

+- System -----------------------------

Microsoft Windows XP Home
Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed : 2992 MHz
Total Memory : 1047532 KB
Free Memory : 678836 KB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------

Version : 1.0.982.3
Time Stamp : 2004-05-02 16:30:08

+- Application DLL --------------------

controls.dll : 1.6.982.3
ftpapi.dll : 2.0.982.3
language.dll : 1.0.982.3
reseng.dll : 1.3.982.3
smarthook.dll : 1.0.2.1

+- System DLL -------------------------

unicows.dll : 1.0.3703.0
shell32.dll : 6.00.2800.1556 (xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325)
shlwapi.dll : 6.00.2800.1552
comctl32.dll : 6.0 (xpsp2.040410-0905)
riched20.dll : 5.30.23.1211
schannel.dll : 5.1.2600.1347 (xpsp2.040109-1800)

+- Internet Explorer ------------------

Version : 6.0.2800.1106

+- Winsock ----------------------------

Winsock : 2.2

Is there anything in there that should not be or is missing?

By the way, a good thing about the 92 day warning is that if I need to see if there has been a response to these posts I just start up SmartFTP and it takes me straight to your web site.

There is something I have noticed with your forum. When you click the 'Post reply' button for the first time in a session you are taken back to the Forum Index, the next time you click it is okay (wierd)

Hello ..

Please have some patience (1 month) till the new version will be released. You are able to reinstall the latest official build and the 92 days wouldnt popup. Downgrading from the developer build is not recommended as the favorites are incompatible with the old build.

Your best option is to wait.

Regards,
-Mat
SMartFTP.com