unknown error

Downloads stop after 20 minutes.

if it is reproducibly exactly 20 minutes, it is likely that the server admin (or your internet provider, or whoever) has activated some kind of auto-disconnect. btw: this is by far too less information in order to help you.

It stops after 19:50 - 20 minutes. Sorry didn't know what more information to give.

some infos we need:
- is it reproduceable?
- does it occur only with one specific server, or with all servers you're trying to download from?
- does it happen only when downloading or also when being idle for 20 minutes?
- does it occur with other ftp clients?
- what is the server software used?
- what is the exact error message (copy & paste it here)?
- etc.

- i've tried multible times and the same thing happens. this all started happening around friday. it worked fine before
- i've only tried one address but that's because it's the only one i know.
- i tried being idle for about 6 minutes before downloading but same thing happened.
- smartftp is the only ftp client i know of.
- i'm not sure what you mean by "server software used"
- 45801472 bytes received successfully. (37.49 KB/s) (00:19:53).
Unknown error.
Connection closed.

- what has changed since friday? installed any new software (firewall etc.)? changed internet providers?
- try ftp.smartftp.com and being idle for 20 minutes or download some big linux iso image from ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/iso/10.0/i586.
- what happens if you're idle for the whole 20 minutes?
- try http://filezilla.sf.net/ as another client.
- most ftp servers print out a message when you login which says which ftp server software (company & version, operating system) is used. please copy & paste it here.

Friday we got a wireless router, I don't know if that has anthing to do with it.

I tried FileZilla and the same thing happened.

421 No-transfer-time exceeded. Closing control connection.
Error: Disconnected from server

the error message from filezilla is more helpful than the one from smartftp. are you sure the download has failed after all? it seems the download was completed successfully, but then, as no transfer is going on, the server disconnects you. many ftp server have this "kick on idle" feature activated.

I tried firefox again and noticed that after the error message the download will reconnect and continue downloading. and eventually will complete. so probably seems to be solved.

Use the global queue for all your transfers/downloads.

Avoid any alternative download method (direct, session queue).

Regards,