How to upload directories

Is it possible to upload a directory, along with any sub-directories? upload->direct->selct files just uploads files, even if directories are selected.

Jack

of course this is possible, e.g. by using drag & drop from windows explorer to the remote file view.

Windows Explorer? Does anyone really use that anymore? Anyway, thanks for the reply, No it is then.

Jack

I said "e.g." because this is not the only way. Of course you can also drag & drop from the "Local Folder Bar" (activate it from "View" -> "Toolbars") from within SmartFTP. Does anyone really use the "Upload" context menu item? ;-)

Ahh, I see. Thanks, that's just what I needed to know.

Jack

Or you can just copy and paste an entire directory.

I have just downloaded SmartFTP and have successfully connected to my website and can see all the folders in the tree view and the folder view. But I can't see how to upload any of it to my PC?

I've tried switiching to binary mode (as per Yahoo's FTP help section) and dragging and dropping a couple of single image files into the "main queue" in the bottom pane. But they are just sitting there, with the message "waiting to retry" at the end of each row and I can't see how I'm supposed to start them off again?

Really, I want to transfer my whole site onto my PC, as I am just about to cancel my Yahoo Web Hosting susbscription and wanted to save all my files. But how do I do this?

I am running Win98se and use AOL dial-up to connect.

you need to assign a destination to the files you dropped to the queue. see the global queue / windows explorer transfer tutorials here:
https://www.smartftp.com/support/howto/

I'm sorry if you think I'm stupid! But I had watched all the flash presentations and read all the text tutorials before I started. AND I had tried to do a few searches, to find any relevant information in the forums! I had also done the update check and supposedly installed the update - although, every time I open Smart FTP, I am still getting the screen that says Smart FTP hasn't been updated for 120 days - go to bla bla bla to download the latest version! In Help>about Smart FTP it gives my current version as 1.0.968.0. Is this not the latest version then?

If it is the latest version, there are quite a few things which don't tally with the tutorials: like the bit where it says that when you click on 'browse' to select the folder into which you want to download your files, you will be given the option to create a new folder. I couldn't see this option when I tried it? So I had to open my downloads folder and create a new folder in there first and then go back to Smart FTP and select it.

Also, I don't even have a tab called Global Queue! I have tabs called Queue Source; Queue Main; Connection; and Speed.

The tutorials do not make the whole process clear enough, in my opinion. Because, contrary to what you might think, I am not thick!

When I tried it tonight, it wouldn't even connect to my website this time! - even though it connected fine last night. And I had saved it in my favourites, to save me having to set it all up again. So if no-one is willing to help me get to grips with it, I'm going to have to give up with Smart FTP and either try another FTP client.....or just forget the idea altogether!

these lines are part of my footer and appear at the bottom of every message i post because 90% of the questions asked were already answered in the forum or in the docs.

[quote name='Shereen]Maybe I was a bit over-sensitive and they were just a reminder to anyone browsing the forum? If so' date=' I apologise. However, its worth noting that according to language experts, if a listener or reader misunderstands something, it is never the listener's fault: it is up to the speaker or writer to phrase or rephrase things in such a way that the listener can understand! So perhaps I can be forgiven if I have taken offence where none was intended?[/quote']
accepted :-) however i disagree with the mentioned language experts' thesis, but that's another story. also keep in mind that many people in this forum (e.g. me) don't have english as their mother tongue which might also cause some irritations.

[quote name='Shereen]PS: Having now uninstalled SmartFTP and tried another FTP Client' date=' I have come to the conclusion that the problems I was having were mostly due to the way Yahoo! works, rather than with either of the FTP Clients! I have now written to them for assistance (not that I expect much help from them, going on past experiences!). So I don't think I'll be bothering you again (for the forseeable future anyway) you'll no doubt be glad to hear![/quote']
i'm in no way glad you're switching clients and hoping you'll give smartftp another chance (and fresh install with the most recent nsi setup) because it really is a good client.

Glad we've got all that cleared up! You are of course entitled to your opinion as to whether the speaker is responsible for making his or her self understood clearly or whether the onus to understand what another person is trying to say, rests solely with the listener. But as we all have differing levels of intelligence and/or capabilities, surely it's up to both parties to iron out any possible misunderstandings? Hopefully, we have now done so?!!! Sorry if I have dwelt on this for too long: I just wanted to explain my position.

Back to the topic in question - SmartFTP was Yahoo's recommended FTP Client, which was why I tried it first. But I'll wait and see what help they offer (if any) before trying it again. Thank you for bearing with me.