SmartFTP application does not close!

Hi there,

Anyone ever see the problem where the SmartFTP application automatically opens itself? If we press the standard close button, or even end the SmartFTP process through Windows Task Manager about 10-20 seconds later, the application automatically opens itself again.

I checked the settings screen and I don't see anything about a value for "always open" (or equivalent).

We just installed v. 6.0.2141.0 (Ultimate edition) and are running on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thanks,
Jay

Do you see any errors (e.g. application errors) being logged in the event viewer in Windows?

Hi there,

We don't see anything logged in the Event Viewer about the SmartFTP process but we still have the same problem occuring.

I'm not sure if it is related, but we also have seen that our Windows Task Manager can end up having 25+ Processes with the following configuration:
  • Image Name: SmartFTP.exe
  • Memory: hovers around 13,000 K each
  • Command Line: "C:\Program Files\SmartFTP Client v6\SmartFTP.exe" -Embedding
My guess is that SmartFTP is spawning these processes to perform the configured Synchronization tasks. This is a problem because this morning we had to manually kill about 40 SmartFTP processes because memory usage was impacting performance. Most of the spawned processes are using 0% CPU, but are being allocated memory. It doesn't look like they are being cleaned up. Is there a way we control limit or control these spawned processes?

Thanks,
Jay

Concluding from your observations it seems that the task scheduler schedule action cannot find the existing SmartFTP.exe process and is therefore opening a new one. Without debugging the problem it is hard to say why this happens in your situation.

Are you running a licensed version?

Hi there,

We purchased an Ultimate version of the software a little over a week ago. Could it be a problem that we didn't install into the 'default' folder that the product wanted? Our install path is: "C:\Program Files\SmartFTP Client v6\". We had an existing SmartFTP v5 program that used the default "C:\Program Files\SmartFTP Client\" folder so that is why we changed the name. We have since removed all v5 files and folders.

Should we un-install and and perform a clean install at the default path? Will activating the new install cause problems if we use the same serial number? It would be on the same machine...

Is this folder change throwing off the task scheduler (in that it can't automatically find the new location)? I checked the tasks in Windows Task Scheduler and there doesn't seem to be anything configurable on our synchronization tasks. In the Actions tab of the scheduled tasks has a 'Custom Handler' item but we cannot configure the properties (error: This type of action cannot be edited in this tool). For the time being, we have adjusted the settings that control the start/stop of the task. We have set "Stop existing task if runs longer than: 1 hour" (min setting) and "If the task is already running: "Stop existing instance". Hopefully these changes help the spawning of new processes as we just had to manually end about 40 SmartFTP tasks.

Thanks,
Jay

Is SmartFTP activated under the user under which the scheduled task runs?
And did you set SmartFTP up under the same user as the one you use in the task scheduler?

Yes to both of your questions. I also went through and set the "Run if user is logged on or not" and "Run with highest privileges".

Jay

Hi there,

It does seem to work in the interactive session. However we still get two SmartFTP.exe processes in the Task Manager.

One has a command line of: 
  • SmartFTP.exe

And the other is: 
  • "C:\Program Files\SmartFTP Client v6\SmartFTP.exe" -Embedding
Where does this 'embedding' process come from? Is there a way to stop this embedding process from starting at all and just rely on the Scheduled tasks firing from the single 'SmartFTP.exe' command line process (actual program)?

Thanks,
Jay