trying to connect to IIS 7.5

So far the only connection I can get going is plain FTP...this is to a local network server, no firewall between them

Using FTPS (either implicit or explicit) I get:

SSL: Error (Error=0x80090308).
The token supplied to the function is invalid

Have tried everything...could it be the Startcom certificate that SmartFTP has a problem with?

also for some reason I can't use PMs on this forum

Please post the system information from the menu: Help->About "System Information" dialog.

t connects just fine from the same computer to the same server using either FTPS Implicit or Explicit

Install the latest version and try again:
https://www.smartftp.com/download/

We have another report where it seems that Windows SP1 made some changes to Schannel (most likely disabled some ciphers by default) that caused some issues. But so far Microsoft has not provided any information about what they have specifically changed.

>PMs
PMs have been disabled (too much spam, etc). But you can contact us directly by email.

>PMs
PMs have been disabled (too much spam, etc). But you can contact us directly by email.
I did but there was no response

Please send your email again.

Install the latest version and try again:
https://www.smartftp.com/download/

We have another report where it seems that Windows SP1 made some changes to Schannel (most likely disabled some ciphers by default) that caused some issues. But so far Microsoft has not provided any information about what they have specifically changed.
I installed it but it won't let me run it as my license key is "expired"

Hello ...
Yes your maintenance (support + upgrades) has expired last year. You should be given the option to renew the maintenance in the dialog that shows when you start SmartFTP.

Hello ...
Yes your maintenance (support + upgrades) has expired last year. You should be given the option to renew the maintenance in the dialog that shows when you start SmartFTP.
do you know that this new version fixes the problem? kind of don't want to buy more maintenance if I end up needing to use another program anyway

I don't know because we have not even identified the cause yet. E.g. is it with schannel, is it a bug in SmartFTP, is with the SP1 upgrade, does the server also need the SP1 upgrade, etc?

I don't know because we have not even identified the cause yet. E.g. is it with schannel, is it a bug in SmartFTP, is with the SP1 upgrade, does the server also need the SP1 upgrade, etc?
just out of curiosity, has SmartFTP been tested with Windows 2008 R2 SP1?

btw I stuck SmartFTP on a spare computer...nope, same problem

SmartFTP has been tested on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 as well as Windows 7 SP1. I will try to see if I can reproduce the problem that you have. Is your client/server using the same AD, respectively the same group policies?

I cannot see any problems here:

Client: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
Server: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. IIS 7.5 (this is the exact same binary as on Windows 2008 R2 SP1).
SSL Cert: From startcom

[03:10:02] Resolving host name "localhost"
[03:10:02] Connecting to 127.0.0.1 Port: 21
[03:10:02] Connected to localhost.
[03:10:02] 220 Microsoft FTP Service
[03:10:02] AUTH TLS
[03:10:02] 234 AUTH command ok. Expecting TLS Negotiation.
[03:10:02] TLS 1.0 encrypted session established.
[03:10:02] Key Exchange: 2048 bit RSA
[03:10:02] Session Cipher: 128 bit AES
[03:10:02] Command channel protection set to Private.
[03:10:02] PBSZ 0
[03:10:02] 200 PBSZ command successful.

SmartFTP has been tested on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 as well as Windows 7 SP1. I will try to see if I can reproduce the problem that you have. Is your client/server using the same AD, respectively the same group policies?
yes, client and server on the dev side are both in the same AD, and this problem also occurs on a dedicated server I am setting up (which is maintained by the hosting company, but a fresh out of the box server)...both FTP sites are using SmartCom certs, I think one of them uses a 2048 bit key and the other 4096

in all cases everything is updated to the most current software (including, now, SmartFTP)

hmmm...what on earth could be the problem? I spent about ten hours yesterday trying to isolate it

btw I've been checking some shared hosting sites...some of them are seeing this problem too, even though I know they've worked in the past

but not all of them, some still work, all use the exact same setup (which I'll bet means the hosting company is still rolling out SP1)

okay, I'm coming up with about half of my hosted sites no longer accessible via FTPS...I would like you to try one of them to verify, should I just email you credentials?

I'm able to reproduce the problem now as well. It's a weird one:

Working:
- Windows 2008 R2 SP1 to Windows 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit is working (both computers are in the same network)
- Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit working (client is not in the same network as server)
- Windows 7 SP1 32-bit to Windows 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit working (client is not in the same network as server) - SmartFTP Debug Build

Not working:
- Windows 7 SP1 64-bit to Windows 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit is not working (client is not in the same network as server)
- Windows 7 SP1 32-bit to Windows 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit working (client is not in the same network as server)

btw on that last site I tried using Explicit SSL, but it still fails with the old 0x80090308 error, in case that helps

>log
This is a server issue (server running out of passive ports) as you can see in the log:
[02:25:43] PASV
[02:25:43] 500 could not listen on specified port(s) 21000-21024
[02:25:43] PORT xxx,232,237
[02:25:43] 500 Illegal PORT command, wrong host (xxx) (xxx) use passive mode or enable in class settings

>that last site I tried using Explicit SSL, but it still fails with the old 0x80090308 error, in case that helps
Please post the ip address here or send it by email to our support.

>log
This is a server issue (server running out of passive ports) as you can see in the log:
[02:25:43] PASV
[02:25:43] 500 could not listen on specified port(s) 21000-21024
[02:25:43] PORT xxx,232,237
[02:25:43] 500 Illegal PORT command, wrong host (xxx) (xxx) use passive mode or enable in class settings
I know what the log says, but it doesn't run out of ports using the previous build of your software...strange, no?

>that last site I tried using Explicit SSL, but it still fails with the old 0x80090308 error, in case that helps
Please post the ip address here or send it by email to our support.
email sent

I know what the log says, but it doesn't run out of ports using the previous build of your software...strange, no?
never mind, it is connecting now with the new version too (but not using SSL Explicit)

the main issue at this point is the degraded performance of Win7 64 -> Win2008r2 64

well performance is now normal and everything is working so maybe it is all fixed

We haven't received your email but it seems that all is working as expected now.

We haven't received your email but it seems that all is working as expected now.
I've sent multiple emails to "bitbucket@smartftp.com", which is the only email address I could find on the SmartFTP site. Which email address should I use?

support at smartftp.com