File encryption over FTP (not SFTP)

Hi,

Wondering what your thoughts are on this scenario.

2 sites, 1 as the office and the other as a backup site with a NAS device that allows FTP but does not support SFTP. The office site needs to backup data to the 2nd site, onto the NAS but want to make sure the data is kept secure so encryption of sometime to be used between the sites. What I'm wondering is whether I can continue to use the existing NAS device despite the lack of SFTP function by using SmartFTP Client's file encryption feature instead. So ok the FTP link can possibly be intercepted but the file encryption means the data itself is encrypted as it leaves the source, i.e. SmartFTP Client, therefore I shouldnt have anything to worry about?

The data itself is securely transferred and stored. However the username/password you use to login to the server is not if you use FTP (not FTP over SSL/TLS).

The data itself is securely transferred and stored. However the username/password you use to login to the server is not if you use FTP (not FTP over SSL/TLS).

ah of course, hadnt thought of that so they could logon and download it. Mmmmm despite being encrypted its still one step closer to the data.

Ok thanks for your help on this