Help with background transfers and file management

Hello,

We are looking to buy this application but at the moment there are 2 sticking points:

1) I cannot see a way to get it to delete empty (0kb) files before doing a transfer (this is a nice to have not an essential)
2) Running it as a service seems to ignore the transfer queue

Just to give more information on what I've tried so far....

I am using windows server 2003 and have set a scheduled task to start ftp when the machine starts, I also gave the scheduled task the account details that I use when I log into the machine. Through the GUI I set up a task to move the contents of one folder to another (ideally it should delete the empty files BEFORE moving the others). This runs fine when I have the GUI version open and the schedule runs fine too.

I then saved the transfer queue to make sure that the XML file matched what I am seeing.

The service level application just does not seem to working in the same way though. I stopped the process and restarted it with the run command in the task scheduler just in case it was not picking up the queue.

The user is a domain (active directory) user but I have checked the XML file in that users application data folder and it is the same one that the GUI version is picking up.

Following other kb guides and answers on this forum I have also clicked on the enable button in the GUI and set that to every minute just in case.

Any ideas what to look at next? Like I said at the beginning as soon as this is solved I will be placing an order!

Thanks in advance for any further help.

>1
Not exactly sure what you want to do. If you are looking for a custom pre-transfer action, you need a custom script for it.

>2
You need to setup SmartFTP (with all the favorites, transfer queue settings) under exactly the same user account under which the scheduled process runs.

>1
Not exactly sure what you want to do. If you are looking for a custom pre-transfer action, you need a custom script for it.

>2
You need to setup SmartFTP (with all the favorites, transfer queue settings) under exactly the same user account under which the scheduled process runs.
Firstly, thank you very much for the incredibly quick reply

1 is a side issue - I would like to delete empty files before moving the rest (SQL generates files even if they are empty if it is a scheduled task and I don't need to pass the empty ones!)

2 I am using the same account for the GUI and the service versions (sorry if I didn't make that clear) - is there anything else that I should be configuring?

>1
Are you uploading or downloading files? And you want to delete empty source or empty destination files?

>2
Please enable debug logging:
https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/how- ... f2613.html
Then verify whether SmartFTP has been started by the task scheduler: Check the log at %appdata%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\SmartFTP<pid>.log file.
There are other helpful information in the log, for example which transfer queue.xml the application is using.

I remember the 2003 task scheduler is a bit limited, so you may want to try to run the task under a different user than the one you are currently logged in. This means that you would need to configure SmartFTP again but this time under the other user account.

Ah the problem is that the trial version displays a modal "trial dialog". So the transfer won't start until you click OK. A license will solve this problem.

Ah the problem is obvious. In the trial version the "trial dialog" is displayed. So the transfer won't start until you click OK. A license will solve this problem.

I had actually suspected this then forgot to include it in my post...

If I buy a key today and it still doesn't work will I be able to get a refund if that still does not help?

As for point 1 it is from the destination folder.

Yes we can offer you the refund if it shouldn't work.

Yes we can offer you the refund if it shouldn't work.

Thank you, I am doing that now.

Any chance of any help with the auto delete

Thanks again,

James

>2
In the transfer queue item's properties, change the Synchronization mode to "One Way with Delete". This will delete the files that do not exist on the source in the destination.

>2
In the transfer queue item's properties, change the Synchronization mode to "One Way with Delete". This will delete the files that do not exist on the source in the destination.

Thanks again, I already have it set this way - I just wanted to be polite to the company I am passing data to and only pass files containing data but like I said it's not a huge issue either way - it looks like it is working now that I've got past the buy now screen - thanks for confirming my suspicions on that one

Hm if you want to ignore empty files in the source, enable the "Ignore Empty Files" setting in the Favorite Properties (Transfer->Files).

Hm if you want to ignore empty files in the source, enable the "Ignore Empty Files" setting in the Favorite Properties (Transfer->Files).

OK, I've done that and created a batch file to clean the empty ones out every now and again. Thanks very much for your help!

James