Copying Files Between Different Server Connections

Hi all,

I'm brand new to SmartFTP and have just downloaded and installed. I'm familiar with FTP as I'm a web developer, but I mostly use Trasmit for Mac. I am using smartFTP on Windows now for this current project and am trying to solve this issue.

In smartFTP, I connect to my remote "dev" server and then to the remote "live" server in two separate connections (as seen in two tabs across the top of smartFTP). I go drill down into a directory on my "dev" server and find an .mp3 file I need, then drag that to the tab for the "live" server and place it in the necessary directory there. In the transfer progress window, it seems to transfer the file. However, when looking at the file on the "live" server I can see that it has no size to it. It essentially does not exist, except for the file name that is there.

Can anyone explain what's going on here and how I might fix this? I am really desperate to get this working as a client of mine is depending on this function. I can do it in the Transmit program so I'm hoping it a setting in smartFTP somewhere that I can change. (fingers crossed)

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated:)

Server to server transfers only work if both servers allow this feature (allow foreign ports). Please consult the admin of the servers if this is the case.

Regards,
Mat

Server to server transfers only work if both servers allow this feature (allow foreign ports). Please consult the admin of the servers if this is the case.

Regards,
Mat

Hi Mat,

Thank you for the quick reply. I will check with both hosting companies (server admins), but why would it work in the Transmit FTP program and not SmartFTP? That is what led me to think it was a software specific problem. If you have any further thoughts, I would be interested to try them.

In the mean time I will check with both hosts to confirm that they allow foreign ports.

Thanks for your time.

Are you sure Transmit does server to server transfers without tunneling the data through your connection?