multipart doesn't work right away

Sometimes multipart, once you enable it for a file thats downloading, starts right away as in smartftp makes new connections. Sometimes it doesn't do it though and you have to manually pause and resume the transfer to get it to make new connections.

This is by design.

Regards,
Mat

oh, any plans to change this?

Maybe in a future version but multi part transfers have a very low priority. There are very few situations where there there is a significant performance improvement.

Maybe in a future version but multi part transfers have a very low priority. There are very few situations where there there is a significant performance improvement.

Depends if you and the ftp server has an ocean in between. For me overseas transfers easily double in speed with multipart. Not all folks have a server in their country.

That shouldn't be the case if the server has a big enough TCP sender buffer/window.

Regards,
Mat

A large tcp window doesn't help with overseas speed. There's a reason why most ftp clients for windows have multi-part transfers. Your hatred for them is just irrational.

That shouldn't be the case if the server has a big enough TCP sender buffer/window.

Regards,
Mat

Mat, the one really common case where multi-part transfers make a huge performance difference is when your ISP use "shaping" of your traffic. This is becoming increasingly common. In practice, it means that they will limit your speed per TCP session to something much lower than the total bandwidth you are paying for, so that you have to have many TCP sessions going at the same time to reach the full potential of the line.

My ISP does this on my 100/100 fiber optics connection to my house in Sweden, and my girlfriend (who lives in the US) has the exact same problem with her ISP. We both use the multi-part feature extensively to transfer files between us.

/Daniel