Upload from Remote Server A to Remote Server B

Dear all,

I am new to the world of ftp here so please excuse me for asking this question since it may have been asked zillion times here before.

I have this remote server A (Unix) which I need to upload some files onto remote server B (Linux). I have installed Smartftp on a separate Windows Server.

1) Now, can I establish a remote connection to simply 'dump' files from A to B using Smartftp?

2) Where can I find some online documentations illustrating how this can done?

3) I saw some threads here about preserving original date time of files. Apart from setting the 'Keep file time' option, how can I enable the MDTM of my servers (which ones need to be configured?)?

Thanks alot.

>1
Yes if your FTP servers support server to server (FXP) transfers. Unless you control the FTP server this feature is usually disabled by the server administrator for security reasons.

>2
Drag&Drop the files from the Server A to Server B

>3
If you are in control of the server install a FTP server which supports MFTM, SITE UTIME or MDTM (to set the time). For example the latest RC of proftpd.

Regards,
Mat

Thanks, Mat. Got most things working by now except that, when I connected 2 remote servers (one LINUX, one UNIX), file transfer could not be completed as the job sat at the transfer queue forever. I tried doing it with just my local PC and the LINUX server but similar problem occurred. The file seemed to get thru but file size was zero. Was that a ftp option/port setting problem with my Smartftp (on the LINUX)? I remembered ftp from local and LINUX worked before using telnet. How can I find out which port to be used?

Thanks

>1
Yes if your FTP servers support server to server (FXP) transfers. Unless you control the FTP server this feature is usually disabled by the server administrator for security reasons.

>2
Drag&Drop the files from the Server A to Server B

>3
If you are in control of the server install a FTP server which supports MFTM, SITE UTIME or MDTM (to set the time). For example the latest RC of proftpd.

Regards,
Mat

If the filesize is 0 then it's most likely that one of your server does not support FXP. Most server administrator have FXP (data connections from foreign ports) disabled for security reasons.

Regards,
Mat