CPU Usage bug?

I don't know what happened but ever since upgrading from 2.5 to 3.0, it takes alot of cpu time. 3.0 will take about 50% usage when its not even in use. I personally wish I could go back to 2.5 but how can this be corrected? It slows my computer down now and didn't before on 2.5. Just sitting idle not transfering anything it will be using at least 30% up to 50% doing nothing with the tranfer queue empty.

I don't know what happened but ever since upgrading from 2.5 to 3.0, it takes alot of cpu time...It slows my computer down now and didn't before on 2.5. Just sitting idle not transfering anything it will be using at least 30% up to 50% doing nothing with the tranfer queue empty.

I am also finding this issue on my workstation and on my laptop - on the laptop it's more of an issue as it only has a single-core 900MHz processor so the SmartFTP takes 95-100% of the processor resources. It would be good if an update could be released to fix it.

I could do some investigation into the process and find out what it's doing when the CPU maxes out. It doesn't happen all the time but quite regularly. I have SmartFTP open now and it's fine but it maxxed out several times today and I had to close the application to restore responsiveness to my laptop.

Regards

Andrew

We can only reproduce it when the mouse is constantly moved in the SmartFTP window. Then the CPU usage peaks depending on the number of MID windows open up to 20% on our test systems. This is probably a bug in the UI library we are using. We will look into this problem.
Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce the problem where SmartFTP suddenly uses all CPU when idling. But this might be related to the one we can confirm.

Regards,
Mat

I don't know what happened but ever since upgrading from 2.5 to 3.0, it takes alot of cpu time. 3.0 will take about 50% usage when its not even in use. I personally wish I could go back to 2.5 but how can this be corrected? It slows my computer down now and didn't before on 2.5. Just sitting idle not transfering anything it will be using at least 30% up to 50% doing nothing with the tranfer queue empty.
I absolutely agree and wish I could go back. The cpu is definitely high regularly 20% or more, regardless of whether the mouse is over the application, I can tell when this is happening because the motherboard fan starts working harder and making more noise. I have tried changing the settings, but without success. I have found now that rather than closing Smart, if I click on tools settings if I am not using it, it goes to idle, saves a bit of time when I want to go back again.

P.S. Think is has got too clever, I much preferred the previous version which asked whether to overwrite files, this used to provide me with an assurance that the overwrite was valid (even though I might say yes to all). I have tried changing settings to get this feature back, but it is seems much more clumsy.

regards

gwynne

I experience the exact same problem. My PC is running Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Intel Core Duo 1,73 GHz CPU.

During normal usage SmartFTP constantly uses 40-50% CPU (remember i'm using Dual Core, so this is around 100% of one of my cores). However, when i open ANY window from within SmartFTP, the usage drops to ~0% - even when i open the About dialog.
The symptoms are exactly the same no matter if SmartFTP is minimized or maximized.

I don't know if this can help, but i tried do some logging of the activities done by the process while using 50% CPU.
This screenshot shows 19 registry queries being done constantly over and over (watch the time for each query!):

The CLSID being reffered to is:
{82AA9188-44E0-40B9-B956-43A10C315B4F} = SmartFTP Shell Namespace Extension

I hope this can help to solve the problem.

Anyway, thank you very much for the best FTP client :-)

This screenshot shows 19 registry queries being done constantly over and over (watch the time for each query!):
Wow - no wonder we have such high CPU usage!

Regards

Andrew

Allan: Thank you for your posting your findings. The latest version should reduce the registry access but it is still present when you have two windows which share a toolbar between them with the copy/move buttons.

I would prefer to close this thread and continue on the existing thread in the Bug Report forum:
https://www.smartftp.com/forums/CPU-Usage-t14602.html

Thanks.
Mat