Previous Versions

Hello,

I've been using SmartFTP for quite some time now. However, now that you've apparently changed the license forcing people to pay for SmartFTP for private use... I guess if I like it, I'll have pay.

However, I have a question before I do pay.

I don't like the latest version of SmartFTP. I hate it. If I bought a license for SmartFTP, would I be able to use an earlier version of SmartFTP?

If so, then that would be great, and I'd love to buy SmartFTP.

If not, I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to use a different FTP client that's free.

Thanks in advance for your time!

You are welcome. We would appreciate if you want to share the reasons you do not like version 3.0. From our experience most users not liking version 3.0 were just overwhelmed by the changes related to the transfer queue. However after we explained the benefits of using the new system many agreed that version 3.0 is a big improvement over version 2.5.

Regards,
Mat

You are welcome. We would appreciate if you want to share the reasons you do not like version 3.0. From our experience most users not liking version 3.0 were just overwhelmed by the changes related to the transfer queue. However after we explained the benefits of using the new system many agreed that version 3.0 is a big improvement over version 2.5.

Regards,
Mat

Hey.

Yes, it's related to the transfer queue. I loved to just be able to drag and drop files from my hard drive, to the webserver. Now this thing pops up telling me they've been added to the queue and to click start to upload the files, or something of the sort. In the label that appears, there's nothing user friendly that says "If you'd like to disable this, click here." Some people don't even want to be bothered to search the options to disable it... The fact that it was snuck up on people is inconvenient as well. (Like, people have settings exactly like they want them, then in the next version it's "Oh, hello transfer queue.")

It's too many steps just to upload a file.

Also, for me it's just basically a "personal feel" type of thing. The interface changed a bit and it just seems weird. These days, programmers are going with "flashy" and forgetting about simple when it comes to design. (This applies to programs, and webpages.) Sometimes simple is better.

Also, I may be blind... but is there even an OPTION to disable the queue? I looked in the Settings, I went to Queue... I don't even see an option that says anything like, "Don't put files in queue automatically" or "Disable Queue" or anything of the sort. Perhaps I'm blind, but that's what I meant about the latest version not being user friendly about the queue.

Hello ...

You only have to start the Transfer Queue once ever if it is not automatically started which is the default. Then the info tip doesn't appear anymore. Also if you don't want to see the file exist/conflict dialogs and use the automatic rules you can change this in the File Exist settings. We have created a FAQ which answers these questions:
https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/tran ... f2607.html

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mat