SFTP: Encryption of private key not handled ?

Hello.

I don't get SmartFTP to use my private, encrypted key. When I load it, it says "failed to load key file". Even if I type my passphrase.

I tried to use the Create Key feature, but even if I tell it to encrypt the key, smartftp does not. The generated private key is not crypted !
The generated file starts with "-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----" whereas my encrypted private key begins with "-----BEGIN ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY-----".

I tried to use the newly generated "encrypted" key generated by Smartftp:
I uploaded the generated public key to my server, then try to log in, and Smartftp does *not* asks me the key. I did not type it when I loaded the key in the favorite dialog. It just logs, as if the key was not encrypted.

I guess SmartFTP support for encrypted private key is broken or not implemented.

In what format is your private key? OpenSSH?

The better idea is to encrypt your favorites folder with EFS. To do this right-click on the favorites folder. Then select Properties and then set the Encryption attribute. Click OK.

Regards,
Mat

This does not prevent unauthorized access to my computer (physically or network-based).

Thank you anyway for your answers. SFTP support in smartFTP is great. Private key support is even greater ! I think I am going to use it in spite of the lack of a private password prompt, (even if it is unsecure).

The better idea is to encrypt your favorites folder with EFS. To do this right-click on the favorites folder. Then select Properties and then set the Encryption attribute. Click OK.

EFS is very secure and only the one who has the password to your account can get your passphrase. The next version will use a password input field instead of a text input field. So the password is not displayed in plain text in the dialog.

Regards,
Mat