Cannot use Windows Explorer with SmartFTP

After upgrading my SFTP to version 3.0.1014.7 (prev. version was 2.5.1008.29 -- which worked fine), I can no longer use Windows Explorer (WE) while SFTP is running. If SFTP is running and I start WE, within 30 seconds or so, I get the error, "explorer.exe has genereated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program." It does the same thing if WE is running and SFTP is started. It also doesn't matter if SFTP is uploading/downloading or not. No errors occur if WE is running without SFTP or vice-versa. When the error occurs, if SFTP is downloading, it stops for a moment, then resumes the download (or upload).

The Application event log says, "The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

Everything was working okay until the upgrade.

System Info from SFTP:

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)

CPU Speed : 2933 MHz
Total Memory : 2038 MB
Free Memory : 1646 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1014.7
Time Stamp : 2008-04-28 13:51:03
Platform : x86
Unlicensed
Days in use : 69

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.13.14
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.10.7
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.9
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.7.7
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.5.7

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1014.7

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 6.0.2800.1106

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

TIA,
Dale

Does that mean that v3.0+ will not run nicely on my computer, or is there another solution (fix in SFTP or an update to my OS)? Does that also mean that I need to purchase a license to use 2.5?

Thanks for the help, Matt!
Dale

Hello ...

Since we cannot reproduce the problem on our Windows 2000 test systems the chance is very small that there will be a workaround. The problem is very likely related to another shell extension that is installed on your system that doesn't handle the notify messages from SmartFTP correctly. I personally would update to Windows XP and not just because of SmartFTP :-)

Regards,
Mat

I can't really upgrade the W2K machine as it's my "workhorse" and can do the repetitive tasks I need faster than XP. I do have other machines with XP and Vista and SFTP 3.0 seems to work fine on them. I'll just go back to the older version and stick with that for now.

Thanks for all your help, Mat!

Dale

Okay, I downloaded version 2.5.1008.44, but now it crashes anytime I try to upload or download. The error dialog says:
"SmartFTP.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

In the error log, this is the message:
"The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 05/16/2008 @ 22:46:32.937 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 54164B26 (<nosymbols>)"

Help!!! I need for this to work along with Explorer. (Again, everything was working fine until I was 'forced' to upgrade to 3.x.)

Thanks!