BACKUP

Hi can anyone please tell me how to make a backup of my current website through SmartFTP to my home computer. I'm a novice so any help would be REALLLY APPRECIATED. Thanks.

The best option is to use the Queue option when downloading a lot of files from your FTP Server. Here are the instructions for uploading files to your FTP Server using the Queue option, but downloading is very similar, so understanding this should give you a good idea of how to download the files using the Queue option...

SmartFtp Queue Upload Instructions

In SmartFtp, to upload using the Queue option, right click on the destination folder on your FTP server and select Upload/Queue/Select...

Then click on the Add Files or Add Folder button to select all the files or folders that you want to upload to your chosen destination folder...

Then click the OK button. Next, in the Transfer Queue tab at the bottom, click on the Start arrow if the download hasn't automatically started already and that will get the Queued Upload to begin and continue until the upload is complete, regardless of whether SmartFtp has to reconnect multiple times to do so...

Hello ..

The instructions provided by Nighrider apply for version 2.5 of SmartFTP. The newest version is version 3.0 which automatically uses the Transfer Queue. Basically you just have to drag&drop the folders/files you want to backup from the Remote Browser to the Local Browser or Windows Explorer.

Regards,
Mat

Hello ..

The instructions provided by Nighrider apply for version 2.5 of SmartFTP. The newest version is version 3.0 which automatically uses the Transfer Queue. Basically you just have to drag&drop the folders/files you want to backup from the Remote Browser to the Local Browser or Windows Explorer.

Regards,
Mat

Thank you, does drag and drop mean it will COPY files and NOT MOVE files? i'm a novice at SmartFTP sorry.

It always copies back and forth, as far as I know it never actually moves them

It depends. If you hold the Shift key while you drag&drop it moves the files. Also if you click on the "Move" button in the transfer toolbar it moves the files as well.
But you have to explicitly tell SmartFTP to move the files.

Regards,
Mat