UTF-8 problems in filenames

When I connect to a server, that uses UTF-8 in filenames, list of files is displayed normally (russian characters are displayed normally). But when I try to download a file with a non-latin character in its name, SmartFTP cannot do that. Sniffing its traffic reveals the problem: SmartFTP sends the filename in some other codepage (I cannot identify them by character code). After a list command server sends a filename like "Alien [..........](1979).avi" (the exact characters are hard to copy. Just mind the number).
WireShark shows, that the string sent to downlad the file was "RETR Alien [\327\363\346\356\351](1979).avi\r\n". And so ftp server answer, that such file doesn't exist.
Some other ftp clients, such as total commander's builtin one, cannot display filenames correctly, but can at least download them.

System information:
+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
Service Pack 2 (Build 3790)

CPU Speed : 1868 MHz
Total Memory : 1023 MB
Free Memory : 515 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 2.5.1008.11
Time Stamp : 2007-11-14 23:44:45
Platform : x86

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.11.9
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.4.11
SmartHook.dll : 1.0.2.2

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 2.5.1008.11

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.5730.13

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

Your server doesn't support UTF8. To work around the problem change the codepage in the favorite settings FTP->Transfer from Auto to ANSI.

Regards,
Mat

When I change that setting to ANSI, filelist is displayed incorrectly, but i can download files. 
But if I change that setting to UTF8 both listing and downloading works fine. 
The only option value, when download doesn't work at all is Auto.
And thanks for advice.