cannot display images

So far I have solved how to upload a text page but cannot yet get pictures. I have tried saving them as .gif files and reducing the pixel size but continually get them as a blank rectangle with a boxed red x in the top left corner.

I have placed a sample picture as image0002.gif in the 'local for FTP' folder and inserted it into the html index file, then uploaded both. Replies to similar queries have recommended checking the file is in binary - how do I do that?

So far I have solved how to upload a text page but cannot yet get pictures. I have tried saving them as .gif files and reducing the pixel size but continually get them as a blank rectangle with a boxed red x in the top left corner.

I have placed a sample picture as image0002.gif in the 'local for FTP' folder and inserted it into the html index file, then uploaded both. Replies to similar queries have recommended checking the file is in binary - how do I do that?
Replying to myself: Help! is anyone out there? or was my question too dumb?

Replying to myself: Help! is anyone out there? or was my question too dumb?

Hi Namestone, I understand your frustration, I have the same problem from time to time. I upload my site regularly and sometimes the new images that I have put on the site do not carry over. I check the index files on my PC and there they are! I check the browser in smart FTP and there they are! I upload them, check the site live on the net - no new images!!! I've joined the forum to try and get a solution to this irritating problem. You're not alone Buddy, I'm walking the same path. So come on you people in the know, help us out.

Hi Namestone, I understand your frustration, I have the same problem from time to time. I upload my site regularly and sometimes the new images that I have put on the site do not carry over. I check the index files on my PC and there they are! I check the browser in smart FTP and there they are! I upload them, check the site live on the net - no new images!!! I've joined the forum to try and get a solution to this irritating problem. You're not alone Buddy, I'm walking the same path. So come on you people in the know, help us out.
Hi R.Berry, It's good to know I am not the only one. I have found that other FTP suppliers have upload buttons that offer a tickbox choice of uploading in ASCII, Binary or Auto. I am surprised that MB who signs himself as Mat and replies to other posts seems to take little notice of this one.

Namestone: If you look at the toolbar in the Remote Browser you will find the "buttons" you are looking for: Ascii | Binary | Auto. It's not recommended to change the transfer mode because the best results will be achieved using the default setting (which is Auto or Binary). Furthermore it's unlikely that changing this setting will positively affect your transfers.

As a licensed users you will get premium support and somebody will immediately look at the problem you are having. Please understand that unlicensed (free users) won't get the same service as premium users when posting into the P2P/Public forum.

Regards,
Mat

Namestone: If you look at the toolbar in the Remote Browser you will find the "buttons" you are looking for: Ascii | Binary | Auto. It's not recommended to change the transfer mode because the best results will be achieved using the default setting (which is Auto or Binary). Furthermore it's unlikely that changing this setting will positively affect your transfers.

As a licensed users you will get premium support and somebody will immediately look at the problem you are having. You should realize that won't get the same service as premium users when posting into the P2P/Public forum.

Regards,
Mat
Thanks Mat, I take the point about being unlicensed. That is obviously the route and not expensive but as a new user I wanted a little more time to be sure. I have reloaded the *.gif image using the binary button but still get a red X. Shouldn't the Auto button have uploaded the index and gif files in ascii and binary anyway? I will try rewriting the html file with a fresh image (which I do in Word, copying the source code into the index pile using notepad) and upload again using the ascii button for the index and binary button for the gif.

Thanks Mat, I take the point about being unlicensed. That is obviously the route and not expensive but as a new user I wanted a little more time to be sure. I have reloaded the *.gif image using the binary button but still get a red X. Shouldn't the Auto button have uploaded the index and gif files in ascii and binary anyway? I will try rewriting the html file with a fresh image (which I do in Word, copying the source code into the index pile using notepad) and upload again using the ascii button for the index and binary button for the gif.
that was unsuccesful. I have also tried rewriting the html to point to the image in my provider's ftp/my website/image name & title but still no success. I will purchase a licence if you are confident that you can solve my problem but understandably do not want to do so on the free site.

Your problem is related on how to create a website and linking images. It has nothing to do the FTP client you are using.

Regards,
Mat