SFTP and HIPAA Compliance

Really new here. Having trouble setting up. Have watched tutorial to no avail. Feel it may be more my lack of understanding basic ftp concepts rather than an inherent flaw in the program.

So, before I waste anymore time beating my head against the wall is this a safe way to have a client send me their daily sheets to me to eliminate office visits?

Thanks

ALA

Hello ..

SmartFTP is HIPAA compliant. To start a secure connection go to menu: File->New Remote Browser. Then select "FTP over SSL - Explicit" in the Protocol combo box. Fill out all other information and click OK to connect to the server.

Regards,
Mat

Thanks Mat. That helps a lot. At least I knowI can stick with this - I downloaded this 12 days ago and have gotten frustrated everytime. I don't know a lot about this and I need to know just enough to expand our business but make our clients feel secure.

I've spent a little time going over these other posts and the main problem I'm having:

[21:07:48] SmartFTP v2.5.1008.24
[21:07:48] Resolving host name "70.16.79.106"
[21:07:48] Connecting to 70.16.79.106 Port: 21
[21:07:48] Connected to 70.16.79.106.
[21:07:48] Connected. Exchanging encryption keys...
[21:08:09] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

NowI've read another poster that had this same problem but I still cannot figure out (even watching the tutorial 3 times last night) if I'm even on the right path

Hello ..

There is no FTP server running on port 21 nor port 990 on the IP address you are trying to connect to:

C:\Users\mb>ftp 70.16.79.106
> ftp: connect :Connection timed out
ftp>

Please contact the person you got the host/ip address from and ask them about the correct ip/port.

Regards,
Mat

This is how new I am. I assumed that finding out what my IP address was (via IPChicken) was sufficient. Obviously not. Can you tell me what I do from here to get the proper FTP server?

Additionally, when I purchase SmartFTP after 30 days is the $36.95 a yearly or one time fee?

Thanks for the help; I'll have a number of questions to get this up a running.

Cheers,

ALA

Hello ...

The 36.95 USD is the price for a license with includes an additional 1 year maintenance plan. The license itself does never expire. Thus the cost of the license is a one-time fee.
We will be able to assist you with your question after you have purchased a license.

Regards,
Mat
SmartFTP

Mat,

I have the license key. Do I want to download to my server or is putting on my workstation sufficient?

ALA

Hello ..

You can add the license key id your forum profile. Go to "My Controls" (top right) then click on "Edit Profile Information" on the left side.

You do not need to upload your license key to the server.

Regards,
Mat