Unable to Restore Backups...

I reinstalled my OS, along with all 3rd party apps, including SmartFtp v2.5.1006. Unfortunately, I cannot restore any of the backups that I created before starting over. When using the BackupTool, after entering the backup file, the date is not listed, nor does the Next button become enabled. I have tried several of the previous backups hoping that the most current file was corrupt. I also uninstalled and reinstalled an older version, 2.5.1005d but encountered the same problem. I uninstalled it and installed 2.0.1000 and it tried to restore the backups, but failed to restore any of the numerous favorites that I had been using...

Is there a fix to this problem or is it a known bug???

Hello ..

To import your old favorites follow these steps:

1. Extract the favorites.dat from your backup zip
2. Start SmartFTP
3. Go to menu: Favorites -> Edit Favorites
4. In the Favorites window go to menu: Tools->Import
5. Select "SmartFTP 1.0-2.0 Favorites"
6. Select the favorites.dat you extracted in step 1
7. Click OK

The same procedure works for the history.dat as well. In this case select "SmartFTP History" in step 5 and select the history.dat in step 6.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Thanks mb, I appreciate your help with this...

Unfortunately, none of the 2.5.1005 backups include the favorites.dat nor history.dat files...

I was able to go back to the 2.0.1001 backups to find the favorites.dat file, but not the history.dat file...

Your directions worked to restore the favorites from those older backups. Is there a way to restore the favorites from the newer backups or are they all pretty much worthless at this point???

Thanks again for your help...

Hello ..

You should be able to restore the v2.5 Backup File with the SmartFTP Backup Tool. If you cannot for some reasons you can extract the Favorites.zip from the archive. Then extract the Favorites.zip. Replace the folder in %Appdata%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Favorites with the new favorites you just extracted. The history (links/references to favorites) is saved in the Settings.reg. To restore it double click the Settings.reg and import it into the registry (not recommended).

Regards,
SmartFTP