Monitor folders?

Hi

The Schedule > Monitor Local File seems to work well with files. But not with folders. What would you suggest if I want to keep a whole folder full of files (and subfolders) in sync with the remote destination? It'd be good if SmartFTP could detect that a file within the folder has changed, and upload it.

Might not be possible.

If not, what is the best way of doing this? How do I keep a folder item in the queue, so that I can manually process it from time to time? I don't particularly want to set a fixed schedule, I just want to run it manually every now and then (e.g. after I know I've made an update to one of the local files).

Thanks!

Mike

Is it illegal to bump on these forums?

Mike

Would monitoring the folder (without the subfolders) help?

Would monitoring the folder (without the subfolders) help?

I guess that would be more helpful than nothing. But in the case I have in mind, there are several levels of subfolder, and all would need to be monitored.

Failing that, it would be useful just to have a persistent Queue item that I can just click "Go" on manually. At the moment I have it set up as a Monitored item, which doesn't work as such, but it means the item persists in the queue. Then I have to remember to resume the item, then press play in the queue, then wait for the job to finish, then press stop in the queue, then pause the item. Would be great just to have a click-and-forget way of setting the job running.

Cheers,

Mike

Hello ...

The new version allows you to monitor a whole folder and its sub folders:
https://www.smartftp.com/download

The implementation is experimental at this time and if your server doesn't support file hash functions (XCRC, XSHA, etc) it has little use.

We would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you
Regards,
Mat

I monitor several folders to act as a remote backup.

Problem is that if one file changes, the program checks all files in all sub folders, rather than just uploading the one that has changed.

I prefer to just monitor one folder and then only upload the file that has changed not compare everything again.

Windows doesn't send notifications for each single file. For example it sends a folder notification if one file has changed but it doesn't tell SmartFTP which file has changed. But I do not see any problems with SmartFTP comparing the files on the server with your local files. Usually you only monitor a folder with a limited number of files and not the whole computer.

Regards,
Mat

I keep a backup drive at a friends house and vice versa, use overnight bandwidth to check photo and mp3 store for changes and automatically update them. This is taking longer than it should as whole directory is re-checked rather than just adding new files