User FTP accounts

Hi,

Was the software changed at some point in this regard? Were user FTP accounts always stored in favourites? Weren't they stored in history.dat in the past? I see this file is marked as being deprecated here.

If all I want to do is to backup my FTP accounts, do I just copy the files in:

C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Favorites\Quick Connect

?

What was the motivation for the name of this folder? Surely it's quicker to use a history item? What about "User Sites" or "My Sites".

Thanks,

D.

There are a couple options to backup your favorites:
1. Use the Backup Tool (see Start Menu->SmartFTP Client->Tools)
2. Go to Menu: Favorites -> Edit Favorites. Go to the menu Tools->Export. Select "Favorites as zip"
3. Copy the %APPDATA%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Favorites folder

Regards,
-Mat

Thanks Mat,

Option 1 will save everything though, won't it? (custom commands, etc.)

I'll assume the software did change in this respect.

D.

Hello ..

That's correct. Also it's the recommended way to backup your settings/favorites.

Regards,
-Mat

One last question, if I may:

What is the reason for option 1 being the recommended option? Is it just because it's the easiest? I'd prefer to just copy what is required. Are there any registry settings that affect how the favourites are loaded, or is it just a case of copying them back to the appropriate SmartFTP folder, and re-starting the application?

Thanks again,

D.

It's the easiest option because many users are having problems locating the favorites.

But if you know what you are doing you can just copy the favorites files (.xml files) from the favorites folder. A restart of the application is not necessary. The registry only contains the path to the favorites. But of course you can manually backup the registry as well. Just export the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SmartFTP\Client 2.0 registry branch.

Regards,
-Mat

My favourites path is the default, so I don't think I'll need to backup anything in the registry.

Thanks so much for your help, Mat.

D.