File Exist Rules

Hello,

I've been using smartftp for a few versions now and I recently upgraded to the newest beta version and i'm noticing that I can't find the file exists rules section in the Tools > settings menu. Has this feature been removed? If it has how does smartftp now handle existing files and rules for them. I did search on the forums here looking for a answer to this question but i don't see anything relating directly to the topic and subject i'm looking for.

Thank you in advance

What exact version are you using?

What exact version are you using?

My apologies for not including that I was just realizing that you require that in all support posts.

My version installed is version "SmartFTP v2.5.1004"

I installed this version within the last week overwriting my old version which was version 2.0 something. The older versions included the settings for the file exist rules but i can't seem to find them in the newest version i downloaded from the website which I think was the beta version possibly.

Thank you for your quick response.

Hello ..

The settings can be found in the favorite item or in the "Default Favorite Item". Go to the Menu: Favorites->Edit Favorites. Locate your favorite item. Right-click on it and select "Properties in the context Menu.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Hello ..

The settings can be found in the favorite item or in the "Default Favorite Item". Go to the Menu: Favorites->Edit Favorites. Locate your favorite item. Right-click on it and select "Properties in the context Menu.

Regards,
SmartFTP

it is quite hard to find that option
how about something simpler like on the prompt to overwrite dialog a little tick box

[x] don't ask again

I just updated to the newest version, and have the same question.

Hello ..

Regards,
SmartFTP

While I do find that, it merely lets me override the main settings for a particular favorite. I want to set a GLOBAL ignore if file exists on upload, with a GLOBAL confirm if file exists on download - like with the prior version. Is this not an option with this release, or have I misunderstood something?

Thanks very much.

Hello ..

You need to edit the default favorite. Go to menu: Tools->Settings. Then in the Favorites dialog click on the Edit Favorite button.

Regards,
-Mat

Thanks, I see that now. But I only see one 'File Exists' option; can I not set default action to overwrite for uploads, and prompt for downloads? I'm just sure I had those options with the former version...

Thank you.

There are two rule sets. One for direct transfers and the other one for queue transfers. In the ones for the transfer queue the action "Ask" is disabled because it doesn't make much sense in a multi-thread/multi-transfer einvironment.
I hope this answered your question.
-Mat

Thanks, but no. I'm only doing direct transfers (usually one file at a time).

I don't want to disable the file exists prompt for downloads, since I don't want to accidentally drag a remote file and overwrite my local (possibly newer) version.

But I do want to disable the file exists prompt for uploads, since the version I'm uploading is always the one I want.

Does that make sense?

Then add a new rule to the direct ruls which overwrites all files for uploads.

-Mat

Thanks, I got it now. I daresay the rules system is pretty intuitive... once you get into it, and figure out that the first icon is NOT greyed out (you might want to give it some color).

A picture is worth... a lot. Thanks for your help.

Note to users: you must exit and restart SmartFTP for the new rule(s) to take effect.

A restart of SmartFTP is not necessary but you need to reconnect to the FTP server.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Haha, new computer, new install... glad I remembered that this thread was here.