How to Require Password Every Time?

Every time I open SmartFTP the username and password come up already typed into their respective blanks (the password is in asterisks, but that's beside the point). Therefore, anyone opening SmartFTP from my computer can go directly to my files on my ISP's server. That defeats the point of having a username and password, so I assume there's a way to make those forms be empty and require the username and password to be input each time SmartFTP is opened. Unfortunately, I'm missing where I would set that preference. Any help?

If you go to "Tools > Settings > History" and untick "Save History" I think that might do it, not tried though. Also you can right click the connection (in "History" or "Edit Favorites"and click "Properties" and you can tick "Don't save password on exit".

If you go to "Tools > Settings > History" and untick "Save History" I think that might do it, not tried though. Also you can right click the connection (in "History" or "Edit Favorites"and click "Properties" and you can tick "Don't save password on exit".

The first didn't work, but going into the history settings and then right clicking on the listing for my ISP did bring up a tick box that worked. Thanks.

The first didn't work, but going into the history settings and then right clicking on the listing for my ISP did bring up a tick box that worked. Thanks.

Maybe I need glasses, but under "History", all I see is the "Save History" checkbox. Right-clicking the remote site favorite and clicking "Properties" doesn't have a "History" setting or anything else that I can use to require passwords to be entered each time. I'm evaluating the product for other users, as well as myself. I love the product, however this can be a show-stopper.

I'm using SmartFTP v2.5.1005. Thanks in advance if anyone found something I missed.

Hello ..

Go to the Menu: Favorites -> Edit Favorites. Right-click on the favorite you want to edit. Click on Properties. Enter an empty password in the General tab.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Hello ..

Go to the Menu: Favorites -> Edit Favorites. Right-click on the favorite you want to edit. Click on Properties. Enter an empty password in the General tab.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Thanks. That worked, but the password was automatically saved for the next session. I tried turning off the History save, but then I lost everything. So that's not a viable solution. The only workaround I can see is to remember to erase the password at the end of each session, but that's not going to fly with the average user.

With the exception of this issue, I love the product. Security is a big issue and is becoming increasingly important. That's why I'm surprised that there is no "Don't save password" checkbox with a product of this caliber.

Hello ..

If you connect to a favorite with an empty password a "Login Information" dialog pops up. In this dialog there are 3 options at the bottom:
Update:
1. Session
The login information (username/password) are saved for the current session. The session is terminated as soon as you close SmartFTP. The next time you start SmartFTP you have to enter the login information again. Thus no login information is saved in the favorite or anywhere else.

2. Favorite
The login information (username/password) are updated in the favorite item. Thus the login information are permanently saved. The next time you start SmartFTP you don't have to enter them again.

3. None
The login information are used for the current connection only. No information are saved to the favorites or to the session manager.

Regarding security. Sharing a single windows user account among multiple users without clearing the complete user profile every time a user logs off is certainly a very bad practice per se.

Regards,
-Mat

Hello ..

If you connect to a favorite with an empty password a "Login Information" dialog pops up. In this dialog there are 3 options at the bottom:
Update:
1. Session
The login information (username/password) are saved for the current session. The session is terminated as soon as you close SmartFTP. The next time you start SmartFTP you have to enter the login information again. Thus no login information is saved in the favorite or anywhere else.

2. Favorite
The login information (username/password) are updated in the favorite item. Thus the login information are permanently saved. The next time you start SmartFTP you don't have to enter them again.

3. None
The login information are used for the current connection only. No information are saved to the favorites or to the session manager.

Regarding security. Sharing a single windows user account among multiple users without clearing the complete user profile every time a user logs off is certainly a very bad practice per se.

Regards,
-Mat

Thanks, Mat - that did it. When that happened the first time, I entered my password and clicked "OK". But I now see that I had let the dropdown stay on the "Favorites" default. As I said earlier, you have a great product. It was just this one issue that, to me, didn't seem intuitive. I don't know if it's on the list for a future enhancement, but something like a "Save password" checkbox below the password in the General/Login frame would be helpful.

Thanks.

Hello ...

There are no plans to change the current behavior. The [x] Don't Save Password option doesn't work together with the current design because the favorites are individually saved. It means that if you change a favorite setting the favorite is immediately written/saved to the harddisk.

I think the current solution does offer the most flexibility. Though I agree that there is no sufficient documentation.

Regards,
-Mat
SmartFTP

is this feature still available? i'm not getting any login popup if i don't enter any password (neither sftp nor ftp works)

Go to the Favorite properties. In the General dialog under Login select "Session" for the provider.

found, thanks.