Monitoring files

I think I must have something wrong with my setup. I've set up a folder to upload whenever there is a change made to it. That is, I have a folder in a transfer queue with the monitoring feature (and no other) enabled on it. However, whenever I start SmartFTP, that folder uploads, even if there is no change to any file in that folder.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with my setup: it's really just flipping a check box. I'm thinking that maybe my local computer and the FTP server have different time zones, which might make that happen. Does anyone have any suggestions as to possible causes and solutions?

Hello ..

SmartFTP will always process the items in the transfer queue with the "Monitor File" option selected on startup. This to make sure that the files on the server are up-to-date with the local files. This shouldn't really be a problem because files that are equal on both sides (local/remote) are skipped automatically.

Regards,
-Mat

Is with a large number of files, as it takes a long time to the operation to complete, anyway to disable this rechecking, for instance if I reboot my server that is running SmartFTP and then rechecks all my files.

I haven't found it to be true that they are skipped automatically. It processed all the files, regardless of the monitor setting. However, since upgrading to the newest version of SmartFTP, the monitoring feature seems to work as I would expect it.

That being said, I found it took me a while to get my brain wrapped around the way that SmartFTP works. Once I did that, it worked like a dream. For a first-time user, it's kind of counter-intuitive. fThe "it works as designed" responses I've seen in the forums are a bit of a cop-out, in my opinion. Robust functionality AND easy-to-use interfaces are both possible with more care put to the interface design. I suspect that most of the development effort is put into functionality with only a cursory nod to ease of use. I think that only serves to make the product look worse than it could overall.

Still, I use the product because it's the best I've found.

Cam >

Hello ..

SmartFTP will always process the items in the transfer queue with the "Monitor File" option selected on startup. This to make sure that the files on the server are up-to-date with the local files. This shouldn't really be a problem because files that are equal on both sides (local/remote) are skipped automatically.

Regards,
-Mat

Skipped I assume refers to the fact the hash is the same at both ends and the file is not uploaded.

IMHO - It is the best FTP client, RaidenFTPD is the best server end. I tried loads for both ends and was very disappointed.

I guess I'd rather have features and a forum to figure out how to use them than no feature but a slick GUI.

Problem is I want to process many files and that takes a long time.

You can disable the hash checks to speed up the process.

I assumed that was how it decided if to upload the file or not