uploading Speed Prob

m using SmartFTp 1st time

i have ADSL 256kbps connection

when i download anything without SmartFTP sepp comes 30kbps

but in Smart FTP it,s come 8 or 9 kbps it,s uploading speed & same comes in dwonloading

plz help me in it

Hi, the a from adsl means Asimetric, you may have 256kbps of download, and 64, 96 or 128 kbps of upload.

meens

i have Broadband connection 256KBPS connection

my MAX download/upload speed comes 30kbps

but in SmartFTP it comes only 8 or 9 tel me how to Speed up it

meens

i have Broadband connection 256KBPS connection

my MAX download/upload speed comes 30kbps

but in SmartFTP it comes only 8 or 9 tel me how to Speed up it

Devil,

Hi there. I wonder if you could answer a question for me please?

When you say "8 or 9" is that as indicated on the "speed" tab of the transfer queue?

If so then remember that the speed there is given in "bytes" per second, not "bits".

If you have an ADSL with a download speed of 512Kbps (kiloBITS per second) then typically this would translate to an upload speed of 128Kbps. That should allow you to upload files - if maxed out - at a theoretical speed of 16KBps (KiloBYTES per second). Remember that to convert from bits to bytes in this instance you should just divide by 8.

Now, Given that

a) There is an overhead involved in the pre-transfer and post-transfer phases of an upload
There is also an overhead involved in the FTP protocol (you are not just transferring the data, there are the controls and at the bit level the protocol headers)
c) When you are transferring large numbers of small files instead of one or two big ones then a) can be a high proportion of the total transfer time of any one file.

Then I would say that 8-9 KiloBYTES per second is actually a reasonable upload speed under the circumstances, and won't change regardless of which client you use - it is a function of your line and the protocol.

Does that help to explain things?

Regards

Red