.htaccess

I had to insert lines of code into .htaccess. I right clicked and got a dialogue box which stated"SmartFTP will now download the file and open it in the default viewer/editor you specified in Global Settings. Do you want to proceed. I clicked "Yes" and another box came up which was headed "File Exists" 'The Didectory contains a file with the name ..htaccess' At the bottom was a check box (which was unchecked) followed by All..Resume..Overwrite..Skip..Abort. The 'Resume' was greyed out. I clicked "skip" and notepad came up. I inserted the code and clicked on 'Upload Manually" and my Log File showed successful.

I am a complete newbie to FTP and cannot find the answer to my problem. ie: Have I done the correct thing and has my .htaccess file actually been updated. I would be grateful for an answer plus the correct proceedure for the future.

Thank you
Joe

For an edit operation you should usually select "Overwrite" unless you are absolutely sure the local file is up to date.

Regards,
-Mat

Thanks Mat. I really appreciate your reply. As far as I am aware the .thaccess file was up to date when I added the lines of code. To be sure, is it better to carry out the procedure again and overwrite.

Could you possibly tell me what the 'resume' is for and when it should be used and the same goes for 'skip'. Sorry to trouble you again but if I have all the info, I will be OK for the future.

Can the log actiually show 'transfer successfiul' even if it isn't?

Thank you
Joe

Hello ..

You should never use "Resume" with the edit operation.

In some situations it's very hard to to make sure if the transfer is successful or not (you never know what the server does with the data). The "Transfer success" message is shown if the transfer was successful with a very high probability.

Regards,
-Mat

Many thanks Mat
Joe