Client Closed Connection

I have been trying for hours to log into several sites including SmartFTP. The following is the log of the attempt to SmartFTP
[20060812 14:27:44] Log opened
[20060812 14:27:44] SmartFTP v2.0.996.31
[20060812 14:27:44] Resolving host name "ftp.smartftp.com"
[20060812 14:27:45] Connecting to 213.144.155.6 Port: 21
[20060812 14:27:45] Connected to ftp.smartftp.com.
[20060812 14:28:45] Timeout (60s).
[20060812 14:28:45] Active Help: https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/58
[20060812 14:28:45] Client closed the connection.
[20060812 14:28:45] Cannot login waiting to retry (60s)...
[20060812 14:29:45] Continue to login attempt 2...
[20060812 14:29:45] Resolving host name "ftp.smartftp.com"
[20060812 14:29:45] Connecting to 213.144.155.6 Port: 21
[20060812 14:29:45] Connected to ftp.smartftp.com.
[20060812 14:30:45] Timeout (60s).
[20060812 14:30:45] Active Help: https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/58
[20060812 14:30:45] Client closed the connection.
[20060812 14:30:45] Cannot login waiting to retry (60s)...
[20060812 14:31:45] Continue to login attempt 3...

I get the same events logged no matter what FTP site I try and enter. It has to be something on this computer's settings but I can't figure it out even after spending time with tutorials and searching the forums. I really hope someone can give me some guidance as to where to look next. I like to figure these out on my own and learn but this one really has me stumped big time. I've turned off my firewall and antivirus software and that has had no effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Hi Steamcarriage,

I have the same problem, and I am about to lose a web design job over it.

I have tried everything I can think of - making the exception in the Windows XP firewall (I don't use Norton Firewall or Zone Alarm). I have looked at every log I can think of - nothing there.

I use Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition, and there is no "Worm protection" to disable.

I checked access to sfFTPLib.dll and it has full access.

I know the thing CAN work - I was connected long enough to set up some folders to do the work in ... the connection timed out from inactivity while I was working on something else, and behold - I try to reconnect only to get this message again.

I have scoured the SmartFTP site and Symantec, and Webroot (Spysweeper), all to no avail.

I hate 'puters

CopperFork

Sorry, I've now tried all the items in the Knowledge Base article with no success. There must be something else wrong with this computer. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Steamcarriage

Still no success in getting the program to work. I did take FTP and install it on a client's computer just to see what would happen and up and running just fine. I also downloaded another FTP program and installed it on my computer with the same results. Somehow it appears my computer won't FTP. That can't be the program but has to be some obsecure setting in WinXP. What I have no idea. I'm still hoping someone has a suggestion besides sending me to the firewall article. I've turned off the firewalls and still no success.

steamcarriage.

Hi Steamcarriage,

I have the same problem, and I am about to lose a web design job over it.

I have tried everything I can think of - making the exception in the Windows XP firewall (I don't use Norton Firewall or Zone Alarm). I have looked at every log I can think of - nothing there.

I use Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition, and there is no "Worm protection" to disable.

I checked access to sfFTPLib.dll and it has full access.

I know the thing CAN work - I was connected long enough to set up some folders to do the work in ... the connection timed out from inactivity while I was working on something else, and behold - I try to reconnect only to get this message again.

I have scoured the SmartFTP site and Symantec, and Webroot (Spysweeper), all to no avail.

I hate 'puters

CopperFork

Hi Guys
I am having this problem as well and ive tried everything suggested.

Heres a thought, if your using ftp to connect to your webhost and you get the 'client closed connection' error then is it not an error at there server?????

Let me know your thoughts as I am well unhappy with the support.

Thanks Tricia

address: 2.1.7.3 - test
port: 21
login: test
password: *****
is there any problem in that? i use Kerio Personal Firewall. Usually when I use it there is a question that will you allow this to connect but now with this program there wasn't any. I have been given right passwords and all information what I have write to connect but doesn't work. Is it because of host? I want answers!

I have tried all I'm getting really angry that the helpless don't get their deserved help. I have spent all my time reading tutorials twice and trying to disabled firewall and i got lots of viruses because of that. I have now got a new computer That is the newest possible with my money i could get. I could sue this program and get lots of money but believe that you can help me if theres any good in you. I'm really outraged of this program. If you will not help us it is youre own shame. SmartFTP should be flushed down from toilet. Thats my opinion.