unattended installation and security concerns

To the smart people at Smart FTP,

I had some concerns about SmartFTP password retention on this board in fall of 2005 and most of my issues were conveniently addressed in updates over the course of 2006. I'm really thankful. Thank you!

Now it's much less likely that students will accidentally leave their passwords on guest computers. We do not use roaming profiles.

This year I need to automate the installation of SmartFTP and adjust two settings after installation. The first part is easy. After installing SmartFTP the Program Files... Setup Files directory contains the MSI package. I already tested the MSI doing a quiet installation.

However I'm still looking for a way to automate two security options. After installation I open the application and uncheck "save history". Then I uncheck "restore workspace on start". Then I quit the application.

Then I searched the computer for modified files:
INDEX
MAPPING
MAPPING2
OBJECTS

The above files have been modified. Are my checkbox settings saved here? Or elsewhere? Registry? Can I simply write a bat file to replace the above files (or other files) with pre-configured files?

Is there something I can run during every os logout to make sure passwords are cleared?

-Academic User

Hello ..

Both settings can be found in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Settings\Interface
DWORD "Restore Workspace"
Value 0: Do not restore
Value 1: Restore

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Settings\History
DWORD "Enable"
Value 0: Disabled
Value 1: Enabled

You can create a .reg file which sets both values to 0 and import the .reg file every time the user logs in/out.

Passwords are stored in the Favorites.dat. If the user didn't enable the "Don't save password on exit" option in the favorite item properties the password is saved in the favorites.dat.

Regards,
-Mat

Mat,
Now that's some great public support! Thank you. Your software will stay in our labs indefinitely.
-Academic User

Hello ..

Both settings can be found in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Settings\Interface
DWORD "Restore Workspace"
Value 0: Do not restore
Value 1: Restore

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmartFTP\Client 2.0\Settings\History
DWORD "Enable"
Value 0: Disabled
Value 1: Enabled

You can create a .reg file which sets both values to 0 and import the .reg file every time the user logs in/out.

Passwords are stored in the Favorites.dat. If the user didn't enable the "Don't save password on exit" option in the favorite item properties the password is saved in the favorites.dat.

Regards,
-Mat