Help needed ftp log in - gone wrong?

Hi everyone,
Can anyone help here? have downoaded smart ftp and trying to connect to host, getting an error 530 (login incorrect - but I'm now stuck!! - have tried all) I must be doing something basically wrong, is there anyone around that could help me.
thanks in anticipation,
Anne

You entered either a wrong username, wrong password (or both are wrong), or you do not have an account on that server after all. You need to contact the server's admin for details for further help.

You entered either a wrong username, wrong password (or both are wrong), or you do not have an account on that server after all. You need to contact the server's admin for details for further help.

thanks - i have entered the password/user name that i've been given - have had an e mail confirmation of the account set up - so i'll try telephoning today to see if they can help. many thanks for your reply

Hi again - checked with host - my password etc are all correct - but they wont advise on smart ftp - can anyone help me here?
On the browser its displaying 'anonymous' and I cant seem to rectify it - is this a setting? and if so how do I get rid of it? Any help would be great - i'm beginning to pull my hair out
thank you

Okay - got through somehow and sorted the above problem - now the password etc is being recognised - i have uploaded all the files to my website - its stating transfer complete - but my website isn't up and running on line. Any suggestions please?? - (its probably something very basic as i'm not at all techy)
thanks

Sorry, this forum is only about problems that are specific to SmartFTP. Maybe you should consult a general web hosting / programming support forum.