Protecting Folders?

Hello,

I was browsing the HELP files, and found this link:
https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/how- ... f2547.html
but I'm not sure it that is what I need for my problem...

I have several agents who need to upload photos to my website from remote locations. Agent A only need to upload to folder AA, Agent B only needs to upload to folder BB etc.

I can see how to set up a new connection, and add a path. So, I would set up say ftp.domain.com/AA with my username and password on Agent A's computer.
I would set up ftp.domain.com/BB with my same username and password on Agent B's computer.
That gets them straight into the correct folder. But they can always go backwards by clicking on ftp.domain.com to see the other folders - giving them the chance to see (or delete or download) other Agent's work.

Also, even though my password is shown in ********* in the Smart FTP application, is there any way someone could find it out once logged into Smart FTP?

Thanks for any help with this!

I have several agents who need to upload photos to my website from remote locations. Agent A only need to upload to folder AA, Agent B only needs to upload to folder BB etc.
What you need to to in your case is to configure the FTP server (not HTTP server or FTP client) to restrict certain logins to certain folders. How this is done depends on the FTP server software you are using. So you should ask support of your FTP server manufacturer.

Also, even though my password is shown in ********* in the Smart FTP application, is there any way someone could find it out once logged into Smart FTP?
From the main menu: Tools -> Settings, Interface, General -> Show Passwords.

Thanks for your answers...

OK, so I need to get in touch with support from my FTP server manufacturer.

When you say: "restrict certain logins to certain folders" does that mean User A has access to folder AA with the Login "USER A" but the password is the CURRENT one I use to login to my server? Or do they get a different password also?

I only ask this because of the "Show Password" option you explained to me before... I don't want them seeing MY password I use to login to the server.

Hi, use a php script to allow them to upload files without using the ftp.

When you say: "restrict certain logins to certain folders" does that mean User A has access to folder AA with the Login "USER A" but the password is the CURRENT one I use to login to my server? Or do they get a different password also?
That can be configured either way.

Hi Aokromes,

Thanks for your suggestion. I didn't even know I could do this. I found something about it:
http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/PHP/Crea ... pt-in-PHP/
but that gives only a set number of "browse boxes" that the user can use to upload - no? I have people who will upload literally hundreds photos each day - that's why I liked the "drag and drop" transfer on SmartFTP. Or, they could zip up the photos, then upload say 5 zip files also... But then I could just get them to use something like http://www.yousendit.com/ to send me zip files, and I upload them myself...

Mmmmm. Thanks for the thoughts and the opening other options for me!

Eyebex, I'm going to try your option first. Thank you for your help too!

Maybe you can try adding code to automatic uncompress uploaded zip files.