Custom Command Tutorial

I've been looking for a small tutorial (preferrably just a dictionary of syntax) on how to create custom commands. I'm sure by the time anyone replies I will have figure it out, but I searched for a while on the forum and couldn't find anything. When I get the basics down I will post them. (I'm trying to create a second "edit" command, one for certain files). I'm not sure if I've overlooked anything obvious (because I would have overlooked it). Hopefully if I can't figure this out, someone will have posted by now. (note: changing the default program used to edit files in windows didn't work, and besides, I need that to be different from the files I'm editing now. ((has to do with the difference between linebreaks in a unix/windows os))) Also note: I'm getting the feeling the commands have to do with unix, however I am totally unfamiliar with the operating system.
What kind of person needs this kind of tutorial
Beginning web developer, self taught

Nope not much luck yet. I've been busy but if anyone knows how to change the program used by the "edit" option in the right click menu that would work or if anyone wants to layout what the commands would be in that option as if it was a custom command that would help a lot too. Thanks.

You can't control the Edit function with custom commands. The custom commands syntax is shown in the Edit Custom commands window.
-Mat

yeah i can't find what i want. all i want to do is-any way possible- control what file editor opens up a text or html file (.cfg and .php specifically)... either with a setting in options (can't find it) or by creating a whole new "edit" command if its possible

You only have two options in SmartFTP: Either you open a file with the same program Windows would use when double-clicking the file in Window Explorer (use F4 / "Execute" for that), or open a file with the editor that's specified in the settings under "General" (use F8 / "View"). There is now way to tell SmartFTP independently of Windows' file association which editor to use for a particular file extension.