how do i connect?

Apologies if this has been previously posted but i searched the posts and nothing fits my issue.

i downloaded smartftp from download.com. now im stuck as to how to connect. the tutorial states that i should know my host, etc, but if i dont know this information off-hand where can i obtain it?

many thanks

Gray

Hi, if you are trying to upload a webpage from your hosting, if you are trying upload things to a friend, from your friend, it's a thing that we can't know it.

Hi, if you are trying to upload a webpage from your hosting, if you are trying upload things to a friend, from your friend, it's a thing that we can't know it.

I'm sorry but did you even read my post? i was just asking how to obtain the username and password to begin using smartftp as that is the only way to connect...not uploading!

thank u

Yes, we understand. But username and password are specific to the server you want to connect to. Think about it like the Windows Logon password. Your question is like asking us for your Windows username and password. We don't known them, they are secret to you. If no one yet told you your username or password for a particular server, contact the server's administrator.

It was pretty easy for me but I had the same problem. You DO know your host I'm sure you're just not used to calling it your host. If you gave more information about your situation you might be able to help.

If you're trying to upload things to a web host your host is probably the same as the way you get to your host any other way. Example, www.intecnetworks.com hosts my testing webpage, so to go to my testing webpage I go to scriptkiddie.intecnetworks.com (thats what i named it). That is my host, scriptkiddie.intecnetworks.com. The username and password is a little tricky because it could be the username and password you use to log into the control panel for your webpage or you might have to set it up from the control panel.

Lets say its you're friends computer you want to connect to. Assuming you know what you're doing and hes running an FTP server if he can't figure out what his host name for you to connect to send him to this site: http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html and say "resolve ip address" and that number is the host you want to connect to.

If you dont know what you're host is, either you're not familiar with the term, or you've misunderstood the purpose of smartftp. Smartftp connects to a computer you're already aware of.