"An invalid argument was encountered."

Greetings!

This afternoon, I downloaded the latest version of SmartFTP, and I have not been able to connect since. Everything was working fine with the previous version (which I was using this morning).

Before posting here, I did my homework - I've run through the connection tutorials, searched the discussion forums for answers, and tried turning off my firewall - no luck. I keep getting the "An invalid argument was encountered" error message.

I see that posters have been asked to include the FTP log in their posts, but I can't get that, as I have not been able to connect at all!

Can anyone help? I'm stumped and ready to pull my hair out.

What OS are you using? Please post the system information you can find in the help->about dialog.

The problem might be related to a firewall software installed on your computer (very likely). Try to disable/uninstall it and try again.

Regards,
SmartFTP

What OS are you using? Please post the system information you can find in the help->about dialog.

The problem might be related to a firewall software installed on your computer (very likely). Try to disable/uninstall it and try again.

Regards,
SmartFTP

Thanks for such a fast response!

I'm running Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86/IA32) 5.01.2600(Service Pack 2).

I tried turning off the Windows Firewall and then seeing if SmartFTP would connect, but it made no difference. Still the same error message.

Post the log of your FTP session. If there is none please post a screenshot.

Thanks
-Mat

Post the log of your FTP session. If there is none please post a screenshot.

Thanks
-Mat

Thanks for helping me, Mat. There is no log of my FTP session, as I'm not able to connect at all. I took a screen shot of what happens when I run the software and press the green arrow next to the address bar (I assume this is how one connects - in the previous version, there was a little "connect" icon to click.) Sorry - can you tell me how to post the screenshot?
-Carolyn