comments section not being sent

Hi to all,

I was wondering, I do alot of backups, etc. and I make comments on my files using the properties key
Example:

file name-----------------------filesize----date-----------Comments
whateverprogram.exe-----1000K-----12/01/2006---This program was installed xx/xx/xxx
thisnewvideo.mpg----------4000K-----12/01/2006---Greenday - Copyright 2005 - Virgin records

this is what would show within my files listings
However when I do transfers, everything goes great, except the comments section is not transmitted along with the files.

Is there something that needs to be set within options to transfer this info, also?

Thanks Ahead of Time,
Don
Portland, Oregon

No, it simply is not possible to transfer the comments. The comments are stored in so called ADS ("Alternate Data Streams") that are specific to the NTFS filesystem newer Windows systems use. This is some kind of meta-data associated to a file, but not part of it. The target system where the server is on most likely does not even run under Windows (thus no NTFS, thus no ADS). But even if it did, there is no way to transfer the comments via FTP, because there is no FTP command that says "attach that comment to that file".

No, it simply is not possible to transfer the comments. The comments are stored in so called ADS ("Alternate Data Streams") that are specific to the NTFS filesystem newer Windows systems use. This is some kind of meta-data associated to a file, but not part of it. The target system where the server is on most likely does not even run under Windows (thus no NTFS, thus no ADS). But even if it did, there is no way to transfer the comments via FTP, because there is no FTP command that says "attach that comment to that file".

Thanks for the timely reply...

It is a windows server but alas I guess I will have to work out some other method

Maybe you could export the comments to an old DOS-style "descript.ion" file, transfer that file, and import the comments to ADS again. However, I'm not aware of such a tool, so you would have to write some (script) yourself. For an ADS tool you could use see e.g. http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/streams.html

Or maybe you should switch to "descript.ion" files completely after all ... for example using this tool:
http://www.rbahr.de/4dos.htm#english