Cannot connect

i was wondering if you could help me with connecting to the clients.. im trying right now.... and its not working.....for some reason it says the client closed the connection...and the error message says "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond." And i signed up for the account have the password and everything.....????
Could someone help me please... thanks!!

I'm having the exact same problem, except that from your post I gather you've just started using SmartFTP, whereas I've been using it for quite a long time and it just conked out on me a day or two ago.

I don't get why it's doing this, because I haven't changed any settings or anything. I even tried downloading the latest version, but that doesn't seem to have helped. I don't believe it's my webhost, either, as I've tried logging into a friend's FTP, and I get the same error.

Is there anything that can fix this? I'll have to find a new program if I can't sort this out, and I really don't want to! I do adore SmartFTP.

I'm getting the same thing. Long time user, and all of a sudden it won't connect. I tried upgrading to the newest version and same results. Tried several different FTP sites but to no avail. It gets through the login and password, but once it tries to establish a data connection, it just fizzles...

SmartFTP v1.1.984.17
Resolving host name xxxxxx.xxx...
Connecting to (xxxxxx.xxx) -> IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx.xxx PORT: 21
Connected to (xxxxxx.xxx) -> Time = 0ms
Socket connected waiting for login sequence.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 23:31. Server port: 21.
220 You will be disconnected after 90 minutes of inactivity.
USER atpi
331 User atpi OK. Password required
PASS (hidden)
230-User atpi has group access to: atpi
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Extensions supported:
EPRT
IDLE
MDTM
SIZE
REST STREAM
MLST type*;size*;sizd*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.uid*;UNIX.gid*;unique*;
MLSD
ESTP
PASV
EPSV
SPSV
ESTA
AUTH TLS
PBSZ
PROT
211 End.
Detected Server Software: PureFTPd
PWD
257 "/" is your current location
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (xxx,xxx,xx,xxx,xx,xxx)
Opening data connection IP: xxx.xxx.xx.xxx PORT: 6101.
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
PORT 192,168,0,103,5,71
200 PORT command successful
Opening data connection IP: 192.168.0.103 PORT: 1351.
LIST -aL
Connection closed. Server timeout.
NOOP
Connection closed. Server timeout.
Command aborted. Server timeout.

Ohh, I should've posted here and mentioned that my problem had been resolved.

I asked my host about what could be wrong and she mentioned the possibility that I had a firewall activated that was blocking the connection, and whaddayaknow, it was that exactly. It didn't even occur to me to consider that an option as we always keep those things studiously switched off in this household, but when I checked it, it was switched on!

So I deactivated it and was immediately able to connect!

Maybe that's the problem you guys are having, too?

Either way, so much for support forums.

Either way, so much for support forums.
How can you expect help if you do not even follow the public support forum guidelines? We simply do not have the time to ask people over and over again to post all the necessary information.