HTML Code gets screwed up!

I am currently using version 2.0.993 and when I download anything via SmartFTP to local folders the HTML code is jumbled. That is... no breaks and looks like one huge paragraph! This makes it very, very difficult to edit a web page!

I checked it one three different computers and two different IPs and it is the same story. If I download my files via Dreamweaver's built in software, the code looks fine.

My questions is this... what the hell???

Has anyone else had this problem... and it is a big one when you need to see specific segments of the actual code!

Please advise... thanks!

-J.R.

Calm down and search the forums :-) The "problem" is that you're using an editor for your HTML files that cannot handle Unix style line feeds (any professional editor can do that, search e.g. for "PsPad"). For such editors, it's possible to convert text files to Windows/DOS style line feeds when downloading with SmartFTP. To make that work, go to Tools -> Settings, Transfer -> ASCII / Binary, set the Default Transfer Type to "Auto", and add "*.html", "*.htm" (and whatever you use) to the "ASCII File List".

Ok, I did all of that and it still gets messed up. The last version of SmartFTP doesn't cause this. Thanks for your help!

Calm down and search the forums :-) The "problem" is that you're using an editor for your HTML files that cannot handle Unix style line feeds (any professional editor can do that, search e.g. for "PsPad"). For such editors, it's possible to convert text files to Windows/DOS style line feeds when downloading with SmartFTP. To make that work, go to Tools -> Settings, Transfer -> ASCII / Binary, set the Default Transfer Type to "Auto", and add "*.html", "*.htm" (and whatever you use) to the "ASCII File List".