How to reuse the connection that I'm using for navigation.

Sorry for my spelling. I speak Spanish.

I need to reuse the connection that I'm using for navigation.

When I'm navigating an FTP site, I can't start the Transfer Queue. I think it is because the server I'm trying to download from doesn't allow more than one connection at a time, so the Transfer Queue can't use any more threads for itself. That is because the server allows only one connection per IP. I've heard that some FTP clients have an option to reuse the thread which is being used for seeing files and folders.

Other problem is that servers allow too few connections, so sometimes there are so much people trying to connect to that server and when you are able to connect -after a long time trying and trying- you must not disconnect the thread if you want to keep at least a connection to the server again. If you disconnect, that connection may be occupied by other user and the server may get busy.

Some people (like me) need to grab one thread and need not to drop it until we don't want anything more to do with it (until the end), and this new SmartFTP seems a bit confusing in that matter.

Bye! I hope you could understand!

Use "Direct Download / Upload" if you want to reuse the connection for navigation also for transfers. There is no way to make the queue use the connection that is already open for browsing.

Use "Direct Download / Upload" if you want to reuse the connection for navigation also for transfers. There is no way to make the queue use the connection that is already open for browsing.

Ok, thank you. However,

To be honest, I don't think this is a good idea. Most users will probably then complain that they cannot browse anymore when starting / enqueuing a download. If you work on a server which only allows one connection per IP, add the items to the (temporary) queue, close the browse view, and then start the queue. However, this will close the browse connection and open a new one for the transfer instead of reusing it, but that should not matter.

I have also wished for this feature, but I don't feel it is worth the time to program in and debug.

What I do is add all my downloads to the queue, disconnect, then immediately start the queue. I basically disconnect and start the queue almost simultaneously. So far I have been able to reconnect and begin downloading, even on very busy servers.

I understand you. Let's suppose you're right (sometimes I think so, believe me) Yesterday, I've found another issue about reusing threads. Some servers don't close connections when transfers finish or stop and they stay idle for a long time (sending NOOP commands). This gives you the chance of keeping the credit earned, for example when you have 100mb of credit, start downloading 50mb, and you suddenly have to go away. When you come, you are able to continue downloading using the remaining credit (sometimes this happens). If server finishes transfers and close threads as soon as possible, that credit would be lost. A good patch would be giving a possibility to open a specified thread in a new window, and stay idle.

Again, we need to keep one thread as much as possible. The default action may be the one that you are saying, but the other possibility must exist.

I also used to queue a folder to upload and queue other one to download. Then, when I saw that I had collected enough credit, I stop the transfer and make the download folder to be the first element in the queue. When I was running out of credit, I did the same process again, but this time making the upload folder to be the first. That wouldn't be possible with the new SmartFTP because I can't stop transfers without closing the thread.

I hope you could understand me. I think I'm not the one with these problems. Feel free to say me that I'm wrong.

It's for letting you know that I don't want to bother you much. I'll try not to write anymore if you think that's not possible.

Well, if you have such special requests, please consider buying a license (even if you are a non-commercial user). This will give your wishes some more weight ;-)