Step-By-Step How to Upload?

I feel like a complete idiot because I cannot figure out how to use this program to upload files. I was able to connect to the server where I need to send my files, but I'm unable to transfer a file...despite viewing the tutorials (several times).

I was able to drag/drop the file from my local folder to the "Transfers" section (as suggested elsewhere on the message board). It appears in the "Queue Source" section, but I don't know how to make it transfer. I've tried selecting "Commands - Upload - Direct - Select Files" - but when I click on "Select Files," the box does not appear as it did in the tutorial. It just goes back to the screen as it was before I chose the "Commands" option.

Is there a step-by-step guide to using this program anywhere? Preferably one that starts at the beginning? (And written for idiots.)

I need to send MS Publisher files to a commercial printer who requires that I use this program to send the file...and I'm really stuck. Any input would be appreciated.

Okay, I'm trying my best to be as basic as I can ...

1. Go through all the queue tabs, select any entries you find in any of these, and press "Del" an your keyboard. This will not delete any files but remove all entries from the queue.

2. Now hide the queue again by pressing Ctrl-Q, we will not need it. I know there is a tutorial which uses drag & drop to the queue window, but we will not do that, because IMHO there is an easier way.

3. Go to Tools -> Settings and make a few adjustments to the settings (this needs to be done only once). At "General" -> "Navigation" set the "Default Drag & Drop Operation" to "(Global) Queue". At "Queue" check "Reuse Existing Connection" and "Start Queue on Startup". Set "On Queue Complete" to "Idle".

4. Connect to the site you want to upload to. Open a Local Browser by pressing Ctrl-L and browse to the files / folders you want to upload to. Now simply drag & drop the files / folders from the Local Browser to the Remote View where they should be uploaded (not to the queue window). That's it, your files will be uploaded in the backgroud using the global queue.

5. To see the progress of your upload, you may toggle the queue window by pressing Ctrl-Q again and look at the "Transfer Queue" tab. If there no more entries listed, your upload is done.

6. After the upload, press F5 to refresh the remote view to see the files that were recently uploaded.

I followed your directions in Step 1: selected my file in the Queue and pressed delete...and now, apparently, my 38.1 MB file is gone. The same file name is available, but it's still the 1 KB file that replaced my "actual" file when I moved it to Queue. I've tried opening the available file (same name and extension) in MS Publisher and I'm getting the same message: it's not a Publisher file. When I check it in Windows Explorer, it's still listed as 1 KB. This is the same file name and extension that I just deleted from the Queue (and was 38.1 MB). I've checked my Recycle Bin and it's not there.

Somehow, when I moved the file to Queue, the program seems to have replaced the original file on my computer with another file (same name) that's virtually blank (1 KB). It's still listed as a Publisher file in Windows Explorer, but Publisher doesn't recognize it.

I don't really see the point in proceeding to step 2 when the file I need to upload can no longer be found on my computer. The name is there, but the content is gone.

Is there any way to get the file back that I had placed in Queue - especially now, since I deleted it?

Help!

Again, removing a file from the SmartFTP queue does not delete / alter the file on disk. That said, the file must have been corrupted before it was added to SmartFTP's queue for upload. Maybe MS Publisher was still open and had the file loaded while you added it to SmartFTP's queue? What extension does file have, *.pub?

Yes, the file has the extension .pub. I believe it was corrupted via the process of adding it to the queue for upload. I had been able to access it until that time. But thereafter, it was replaced with the 1 KB file with the same name. I don't think the file was open at the time I added it to the queue, but I can't say with 100% certainty. I was having so much trouble getting it loaded that I don't remember everything I tried.

I was hesitant to delete the 38 MB file in my queue because I was glad it existed somewhere and had hopes of somehow retrieving it from the queue. But I went ahead and did so, as I was advised. Is there any way to get it back now?

To make it short: I don't think there is a way to get your 38 MB file back. It seems you somehow managed to overwrite your original file with a smaller / corrupted file. Maybe the upload worked after all and the file is still on the server if you're lucky ... and let me say this once again a final time, as you seem to think otherwise: The queue just stores references to existing files. Deleting a file from the queue just removes that reference, i.e. the entry from the list. If your 38 MB file existed before you deleted the file from the queue, it still exists on your machine after deleting the file from the queue.

Unfortunately, the upload did not work and the company that referred me to SmartFTP has since advised me not to use this program (a little too late evidently).

I'm not sure how I "managed" to overwrite the file, but I can tell you that it happened simultaneously with placing it in the SmartFTP queue. I understand what you're saying about the queue storing the reference - and do not think otherwise. However, as I'm sure you're aware, the file size is indicated in the queue - and it was 38.1 MB. If you refer to my original post, you will see the original file (by the same name, with the same extension) was somehow reduced to 1 KB. My hesitation in deleting the file in the queue was that it was the only place where the original file existed in its entirety and I had hoped to somehow retrieve it. Evidently, my concern was justified, as I'm now told the file is gone. Perhaps if I had not been advised to delete it, I could have uploaded it to another server and later retrieved it.

The fact that it was 38 MB in the queue indicates that it was intact at the time it was loaded. It was from that point on that the data was corrupted in the original file. I don't know what happened or why, but I lost a tremendous amount of time and work due to this program.

While I do appreciate your responding to my problem, as you can imagine, I am extremely disappointed in the outcome.

The same exact thing just happened to me! I spent 8+ hours on an HTML registration page, and when I uploaded using Smart FTP, the file size dropped to 0, it's got weird characters and the date changed to the time I uploaded the file. The file was not open when I updated it.

I am beyond bummed and am uninstalling this terrible program ASAP.

Anyone else experience this - good luck - learn from our lessons. I won't be using this program again. What a waste!

Mooser

Unfortunately, the upload did not work and the company that referred me to SmartFTP has since advised me not to use this program (a little too late evidently).

I'm not sure how I "managed" to overwrite the file, but I can tell you that it happened simultaneously with placing it in the SmartFTP queue. I understand what you're saying about the queue storing the reference - and do not think otherwise. However, as I'm sure you're aware, the file size is indicated in the queue - and it was 38.1 MB. If you refer to my original post, you will see the original file (by the same name, with the same extension) was somehow reduced to 1 KB. My hesitation in deleting the file in the queue was that it was the only place where the original file existed in its entirety and I had hoped to somehow retrieve it. Evidently, my concern was justified, as I'm now told the file is gone. Perhaps if I had not been advised to delete it, I could have uploaded it to another server and later retrieved it.

The fact that it was 38 MB in the queue indicates that it was intact at the time it was loaded. It was from that point on that the data was corrupted in the original file. I don't know what happened or why, but I lost a tremendous amount of time and work due to this program.

While I do appreciate your responding to my problem, as you can imagine, I am extremely disappointed in the outcome.