Transfer Timeout "Client Closed Connection"

Hi,

Every time I try to upload a file the transfer times out, I have included the log file below. I have increased the timeout to 60's without any success and I have tried using the global queue. When I try to use "Active Mode" none of my server folders are visible. Please help!

Thanks Phil

SmartFTP v1.5.991.22
Resolving host name "ftp.americanpig.co.uk"
Connecting to 83.223.116.120 Port: 21
Connected to ftp.americanpig.co.uk.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 4 of 25 allowed.
220-Local time is now 12:51. Server port: 21.
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
USER stacep
331 User stacep OK. Password required
PASS (hidden)
230-User stacep has group access to: stacep
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Extensions supported:
EPRT
IDLE
MDTM
SIZE
REST STREAM
MLST type*;size*;sizd*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.uid*;UNIX.gid*;unique*;
MLSD
ESTP
PASV
EPSV
SPSV
ESTA
AUTH TLS
PBSZ
PROT
211 End.
Detected Server Software: PureFTPd
PWD
257 "/" is your current location
CWD /public_html/ebay/apb
250 OK. Current directory is /public_html/ebay/apb
PWD
257 "/public_html/ebay/apb" is your current location
TYPE A
200 TYPE is now ASCII
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (83,223,116,120,117,80)
Opening data connection to 83.223.116.120 Port: 30032
MLSD
150 Accepted data connection
464 bytes transferred. (22.6 KB/s) (20 ms)
226-Options: -a -l
226 4 matches total
Remote file exist check: 'VB_fold_blk.jpg'.
SIZE VB_fold_blk.jpg
550 Can't check for file existence
TYPE I
200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (83,223,116,120,117,66)
Opening data connection to 83.223.116.120 Port: 30018
STOR VB_fold_blk.jpg
150 Accepted data connection
Transfer Timeout (60s). Closing data connection.
8192 bytes transferred. (135 bytes/s) (00:01:00)
Timeout (60s).
Active Help: https://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/74
Client closed the connection.
Transfer failed.

This has been happening to me too, for about two months now. Sometimes a short file will transfer OK, but often I only get a partial download. I too tried to change the timeout limit, but it didn't help me either. Let's hope for an answer soon.

Here is my redacted log:

SmartFTP v1.5.990.27
Resolving host name "redacted"
Connecting to redacted Port: 21
Connected to redacted.
220 Serv-U FTP Server v6.1 for WinSock ready...
USER redacted
331 User name okay, need password.
PASS (hidden)
230 User logged in, proceed.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Extension supported
CLNT
MDTM
MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[+-TZ];filename
SIZE
SITE PSWD;EXEC;SET;INDEX;ZONE;CHMOD;MSG
REST STREAM
XCRC filename;start;end
MODE Z
MLST Type*;Size*;Create;Modify*;Win32.ea*;
211 End
Detected Server Software: Serv-U 5.x/6.x
CLNT SmartFTP 1.5.990
200 Noted.
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
CWD /
250 Directory changed to /
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
CWD /redacted/Due 12.15.05
250 Directory changed to /redacted/Due 12.15.05
PWD
257 "/redacted/Due 12.15.05" is current directory.
TYPE I
200 Type set to I.
MODE Z
200 MODE Z ok.
PASV
227 Entering Passive (redacted)
Opening data connection to redacted Port: 32493
MLSD
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for MLSD.
218 bytes transferred. (1.95 KB/s) (109 ms)
226 Transfer complete.
SIZE FT_APV409491.WMV
213 66042814
MODE S
200 MODE S ok.
PASV
227 Entering Passive (redacted)
Opening data connection to redacted Port: 33528
RETR FT_APV409491.WMV
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for FT_APV409491.WMV (66042814 Bytes).
Transfer Timeout (720s). Closing data connection.
3861352 bytes transferred. (4.84 KB/s) (00:12:58)

I don't understand why this post cannot be answered. This is a huge problem for me.

My sentiment exactly! Surely somone must have experienced and resolved the same problem?

just a guess, most problems with ftp are because of routers and/or firewalls. that's also why active mode does not work for you - you would have to either enable upnp on the router or manually redirect ports on your router. try playing with that, update firmware, stuff like that.

Cheers for the reply.

What is "upnp" and how would i got about enabling it on my router? Similarly I wouldn't know how to manually redirect ports on my router? I know that Smartftp is in my trusted programs in the setting's for my Zonelabs firewall. Please help!

Thank you very much, but:

1. Neither active nor global works for me.
2. Upnp is enabled on SmartFTP, but I can't find any similar option on the router.
3. Manually redirect ports on my router is greek to me. How do I do this?

By firmware, do you mean the BIOS or the OS? Not sure how to do that either, but my OS is uptodate.

I am wondering if one of the XP updates caused this problem or changed some WinSock timeout settings. All was working fine a few months ago.

Well, I've been up all nite with NO sleep, but most of my problem with FTP is solved and I'll briefly tell you what I did. I don't know if any of this will apply to you, Stacio, or anyone else, but the reply by Tropics (thanks again) started me thinking. This whole problem did seem to start shortly after I moved my computer to another room and connected it to the Internet via a Linksys wireless network adapter, WUSB54G. I do believe it worked OK for a while, but either I am mistaken, or a Windows XP update messed something up, or the software for the wireless adapter did not install properly, or the software became corrupted during any of a few attempted browser hijackings which caused brief pandemonium.

At any rate, here is my set up: I have an older computer that I'll call computer one, running Windows ME that is wired to Comcast's linksys broadband router via USB. Computer number two is my office computer, the one from which I download and upload my work, and is the one that I installed the linksys wireless network adapter after I moved it to my husband's room {he is disabled and bedbound, so I needed to be next to him while working}. That computer used to be connected to the main broadband router via an Ethernet cable connection. It runs Windows XP Home. Then I have a laptop which other family members use which has a wireless card in it and it runs Windows XP Professional.

== I did read online that several computers on the same network can "compete" to see which one is King or Queen for the day, or basically, which one is the server. I'll deal with that after some sleep, because my wireless network does "disappear" every now and then and I have to go back and dig it back up out of the trenches of the etherworld. ==

So, on to this problem of my connection to FTP timing out (not only with SmartFTP but with WS_FTP too). Simple enough, but I uninstalled the software, uninstalled the hardware, reinstalled the software, reinstalled the hardware, set things back up. Quick, easy, painless. I was still not able to download a 20 mb file, but it timed out at the last five seconds, so I will keep working with that. I was, however, able to retrieve the file by accessing my work site via a Virtual Private Network and copying the file from a virtual drive onto my C drive. Sounds simple, but before the uninstall and reinstall, this VPN wouldn't work for large files, either.

Any other ideas that anyone else can think of to get past that last hurdle are well appreciated. Happy Holidays.

Thank you very much, but:

1. Neither active nor global works for me.
2. Upnp is enabled on SmartFTP, but I can't find any similar option on the router.
3. Manually redirect ports on my router is greek to me. How do I do this?

By firmware, do you mean the BIOS or the OS? Not sure how to do that either, but my OS is uptodate.

I am wondering if one of the XP updates caused this problem or changed some WinSock timeout settings. All was working fine a few months ago.

By firmware he means the "bios" of the router.

Thank you. I will have to ask Comcast about the router. I did update the driver of the wireless network adapter.

Hello, I also have the same problem like many smartFTP users.

I wonder if the problem is with smartFTP, my router or windows XP SP2.

I searched in the help file on the smartFTP site and it told me a little bit about response time and keep alive.
I set this two settings on a higher value and it helped a bit.
Before i could only download 200kB, now I can download 1Mb.

I also have this problem after I had another ghost on this laptop. i just wired my router and it works great for other things like internet.

If someone has another thought of solving this problem, please help us

greetz
Sampers

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I desparately need a fix for it.

Thanks.

Hello ..

Technical support can be provided for licensed users only. The problem is usually not caused by the FTP client. Thus you have to purchase a license if you want a qualified person to look at your problem.

Regards,
SmartFTP

I practically have the same problem