Complete Idiot's Guide to FTP - needed!

Hi,

I've read a few pages of this forum and have not seen my question - though have learned some stuff, thank you.

When I first purchased my domain, the webhost guy put up a "coming soon" page, so that when folks visit my site - www.prey4pets.com - they see something instead of nothing. Okay, I'm finally discovering that I am going to have to write my own site by my own self, and I am *clueless* but learning. So, I get the first part done enough to put it up and see what it looks like (my own version of "coming soon"), and I do the FTP thing, I upload the index.html and a few jpgs...

and... woohoo!... nothing happens.

Same old "coming soon" page.

I checked, and I don't think I'm retarded, but there's something very basic that I'm missing here. There's a "Parent Folder" that *goes away* when I double click it - revealing my few files and the directory /PREY4PETS that the webhost put there for me. I don't know what the purpose of the directory is. I put my files into it, I think, and it didn't make any difference. I deleted the directory(folder), and it didn't make any difference. The files I uploaded are still there, however.

Whoever said the interface was "Explorer-like" needs to put down the crack pipe. I can't tell if my files are in the folder, or totally unconnected to the folder, or if I'm even on the right planet.... this is a very UNintuitive interface, at least for those of us who haven't grown up speaking FTP, I guess.

I've been through the tutorials - they are obviously designed *by* and *for* people who already know what they're doing. How about some tutorials for the rest of us?

All I need to know is how to get my web site to show up.

Thanks in advance.

Nicole in KY
vegetarian butcher (yes, for real)

You just need to find the folder where you current "coming soon" index.html resides in, replace the file with your own copy of index.html and copy your images to the same folder. That folder is usually the folder you're in after logging in into your FTP account, or a folder named public_html.

First of all, this is more HTML / web-hosting than FTP related, so this is the wrong platform to ask. However, if there was a "PREY4PETS", recreate it (even if it was empty). Then copy your index.html file there. If it does not show up, try creating a "public_html" folder under "PREY4PETS" and copy your index.html into that folder. One of these should make your site show up.

And of course you always need to log in using your username and password to see your files ...

OMG, Eye! I think you might have finally been the one to answer my 'not too intelligent' guestion! Just found this forum post and I am going to try your advice right now! TY in advance if this works! Hehehehe!

Witchy
www.cajunhaven.com

First of all, this is more HTML / web-hosting than FTP related, so this is the wrong platform to ask. However, if there was a "PREY4PETS", recreate it (even if it was empty). Then copy your index.html file there. If it does not show up, try creating a "public_html" folder under "PREY4PETS" and copy your index.html into that folder. One of these should make your site show up.

And of course you always need to log in using your username and password to see your files ...

Nope... I didn't get it... ;(

OMG, Eye! I think you might have finally been the one to answer my 'not too intelligent' guestion! Just found this forum post and I am going to try your advice right now! TY in advance if this works! Hehehehe!
Witchy
www.cajunhaven.com