Business Use Evaluation - Speed Limit question

Hi there.

I'm evaluating SmartFTP for use by our organization, and was drawn to it because of the speed limit feature. My problem is this...

- Speed Limit appears to be configurable on a per-user basis.
- users do NOT need admin rights to change the speed limit
- running 24/7 as we do, I can't always be around to monitor bandwidth usage, and go slap the file technicians when they deserve it

We do site to site transfers of cd/dvd images, which often surpass 4.7 GB. The remote server site is only on a T1, while we have 4.5MB foc. Whenever we start to download an image, we completely choke out the remote site.

Can the speed limit be locked down? Is there a master configuration available, that I have not yet found, perhaps in HKLM key or a hidden .ini file? I really like the features in this app, but this is a deal-breaker for me I'm afraid.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jeremy
Q/Media Solutions Inc.

Hello Jeremy,

You need to limit the bandwidth usage on the server side. This can usually be configured in the FTP server settings.
Especially when doing FXP (server to server) transfers, the FTP client has no control over the bandwidth usage.

Regards,
-Mat
SmartFTP

Thanks for the quick reply Mat

Although I would normally agree with throttling from the server side, we (for reasons of corporate politics) use IIS as our web server. There is no throttle on the MS ftp server. (Ya, I know... don't get me started... ;-) )

Perhaps I didn't describe my situation properly... we're not doing FXP transfers, but server to client, and throttling the client end with software. But of course, in a multi-user environment, it's tricky to monitor properly, which is why I'd like to hard-code it.

Does the smartftp client make any writes to the registry on install? Are settings kept as reg keys (like with Word or Outlook), or are they kept somewhere else? I'd be interested in knowing a developer's thoughts on replicating the appropriate HKCU key into HKLM, if that is in fact the approach used.

Thanks again

J

More info... so BUMP

I found the correct reg key, sitting at:

HKCUSoftwareSmartFTPNetwork

the keys in question are:
TotalDownloadRate
TotalUploadRate

So my question is this: what would be the net effect of migrating those keys to reside under HKLM as opposed to HKCU? Will the application find them if I move the keys and values?

Thanks

Hello ..

You are using the wrong approach to solve the problem. Even if the Total Speed values are read only, the user will still be able to start 2 instances of the FTP client. Another better way is to setup traffic shaping on your network router.

Regards,
-Mat

Hi again Mat

While I would agree with you in almost all circumstances, in this case that won't work. Our ISP controls the router at this location (where SmartFTP is installed) and will not release the enable password to us.

So if it can't be done with smartFTP, it can't be done. Pity... I like the app. Thanks for your time and efforts

Hello ..

As I said, it doesnt make any sense to implement what you are proposing, because running multiple instances of the FTP client would be a problem. I'm sure there is a software available which runs as a service to limit the max bandwidth usage of the operating system. Maybe there is even a group policy in the ADS.

Regards,
-Mat