Multiple Servers for One File Capability?

I love Knoppix, but the servers hosting the 700MB Knoppix binaries are very slow. Fortunately, there are many mirrors.

How can i get SmartFTP to download simultaneously the knoppix ISO from many different ftp servers to one knoppix.ISO file?

Thank You

Hello..

You cannot. And the problem is rather with your limited connection than with the mirrors providing the Knopix image.

-Mat

Is there any possibility to add this type of functionality - functionality that made p2p file sharing famous?

What server do you use to download knoppix? According to SmartFTP, almost all other non knoppix sites i download from are much much much faster than the knoppix mirrors. It does not seem to matter where i am at in the world, knoppix servers are slow when other servers are much faster.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/
1MByte/s+
Not sure if that's fast enough for you:-)

P2P requires such functionality because bandwidth resources per client/peer are much lower than in a client/server architecture.

I don't see a reason for such a feature to implemented into an FTP client.

It seems your feature requests is biased on your personal experience with one FTP server which is apparently not fast enough for you :-)

-Mat

No it was not one server, but several servers. Putting knoppix download problems aside ....

A FTP server hosted on a cable modem where the upload speed is small in comparison to download would have its speed doubled if the ftp client could download from 2 mirrors simultaneously. This is a very practical application for businesses that want offsite backup/retrieval of their files over some form of secure ftp. There can be trust issues with p2p programs. Again these would only be businesses that have DSL or Cable at the office and employees with DSL or Cable at home.